Senior Software Engineer, Account Integrity
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to 4 million Hosts who have welcomed over 800 million guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer one-of-a-kind stays and unique Experiences that make it possible for guests to experience the world in a more authentic, connected way.
What is Account Integrity at Airbnb?
Imagine getting an email confirmation from Airbnb that a reservation was made on your account in Spain for later this evening. Because you are currently sitting in your home in the United States, a horrible feeling sinks in as you realize that somebody has accessed your account without your authorization. The Account Integrity team focuses on all aspects of preventing bad actors from leveraging new or existing accounts to commit various kinds of fraud.
The team’s ultimate goal is to decrease fraudulent activity at login and signup while reducing friction for good users. Because all users must have an account in order to book on Airbnb, the Account Integrity team can have a disproportionate impact on revenue when the login and signup frictions are reduced. The team uses data drive heuristics, machine learning models, and customer service operations in order to accomplish this goal.
What is a Software Engineer on Account Integrity at Airbnb?
As a Software Engineer on the Account Integrity team, you will be working with data scientists, designers, product managers, and customer service operations to innovate new ways we can stop bad actors in the ever evolving fraud landscape.
On this team, you must have the curiosity to dig deep into various end to end systems in order to understand how and where the fraud occurs. Your curiosity will be rewarded with finding projects that have outsized impacts on decreasing fraud losses while increasing revenue. Your contributions will take a variety of shapes:
- Building and maintaining a long-term technology stack with well defined APIs that is service-oriented, modular, granular, observable, and efficient.
- Improving the overall quality and observability of our defenses.
- Building out new detection and mitigation strategies that will make it easier for good users and harder for bad actors.
- Optimizing operations work flows and remediation queues to reduce company costs.
- Working together with a wide variety of business functions to stop fraud attacks in real time.
- Employing machine learning models to prevent fraud from occurring.
Sample projects on the Account Integrity team:
- User’s often reuse passwords across multiple sites. Because of the amount of data breaches that have occurred over the past few years, many of these username and password combinations have been leaked across the dark web, rendering these user’s accounts compromised on Airbnb. We want to target these users with leaked passwords and reduce the overall fraud impact these accounts have on Airbnb.
- As Airbnb is a travel website with users often traveling internationally, our use of phone verification as a 2fa mechanism may actually prevent users from being able to easily access their accounts. This often results in an increased customer service cost as users contact customer service to unblock them. We want to build new ways to allow users to access accounts safely while abroad.
- Maintaining and optimizing our current defenses, increasing observability to operations to increase the understanding of how fraud occurs on our platform.
- Experience as a full stack developer, ideally React, Java, and Ruby on rails.
- Experience shipping large features with a focus on fullstack or backend web development experience (building back end services, building api’s, building front end flows). Machine learning experience optional. Fraud experience is a bonus and not a must.
- Experience working with product managers and designers to build products. Bonus if you have experience working with customer support staff before.
- Curious and confident, able to dig into legacy and any services our products may span to understand how things work.
- Self motivated, delivery focused, life long learner, and great communicator.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status