Senior Software Engineer, Distributed Coordination Services
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. Our community of guests and hosts rely on Airbnb around the clock to provide the tools they need to find a safe place to stay and to facilitate unique experiences. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add senior engineers to solve our broad technical challenges in highly scalable, performant, reliable distributed coordination services to support mission-critical complex distributed systems including online storage & databases, service discovery, data infrastructure, etc.
The team’s mission is to provide distributed coordination as a service across global regions in a highly scalable, reliable, performant manner. The team builds in-house solutions on top of the open source projects, such as Zookeeper and etcd, to support many mission-critical systems (Vitess & MySQL, Redis, Kafka, Flink, Druid, etc.) requiring distributed coordination / synchronization.
As a senior technical contributor, you will bring a unique skill set, experience, thought leadership and technical expertise to our organization, and work to solve broad technical challenges and deep dive into our most critical infrastructure projects. You’ll work on shaping Airbnb’s distributed coordination services and investing in long-term solutions that will serve the company’s core services effectively for the next decade.
What we are looking for:
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment
- Hands-on experience and expertise in building and operating distributed coordination services (Zookeeper, etcd, consul, etc)
- The knack for writing clean, readable, testable, maintainable code
- The ability to decompose large-scale distributed systems and figure out failure scenarios and debug them in an efficient manner
- Great collaboration and communication skills with customer-first mindset
- Knowledge of public cloud platforms (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc)
Some examples of our current work:
- Performance optimization to improve read & write throughput on Zookeeper
- Multi-tenancy support on Zookeeper and etcd to improve scalability and operational efficiency
- Next-gen service discovery platform built on top of etcd on K8s
- More ...