Senior Technical Program Manager - Information Security
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to 4 million Hosts who have welcomed over 800 million guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer one-of-a-kind stays and unique Experiences that make it possible for guests to experience the world in a more authentic, connected way.
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can belong anywhere. Airbnb is built on trust. Our security team works hard to improve the security of our platform that enables millions of users to explore the world.
We are looking for people who want to make the Airbnb platform safer for millions of users around the world.
Technical Program Managers (TPMs) in the information security space work on technology initiatives that reduce the information security risk. These initiatives are highly complex and ambiguous. The TPMs utilize their diverse skill sets, focus on getting the job done, deliver results maneuvering organizational and technical difficulties, and challenges. TPMs facilitates project teams and drives project work to a successful completion. TPMs quickly identify and resolve risks and issues. They provide the right amount of insight to all project stakeholders.
In this particular role, you will work closely with the Detection & Response and Data Security teams to amplify their impact.
As the TPMs’ mission is getting things done, they tend to put on different hats and have varying responsibilities. However main responsibilities of TPM are the following:
- Crafting a technical initiative with clarity on what the initiative is and why we should be working on it.
- Clarifying the end state vision of the initiative in certain time intervals (quarter, half, 1-3 years).
- For the area that they are working on, work with the stakeholders and particularly the Engineering Managers to set up clear, ambitious goals that are bought in and agreed upon.
- Creating harmony among internal and external stakeholders such as InfoSec engineers and ICs, InfoSec Managers, executive management, Airbnb engineering community etc.
- Work with the Engineering Manager and a Technical Lead to decompose ambiguous technical problems into tracks of work, clarifying and prioritizing deliverables, and identifying owners.
- Ensuring timely and successful execution which include:
- Tracking progress across the organization and teams for tracks of work
- Managing cross team dependencies
- Unblocking execution
- Preventing scope creep
- Risk management
- Communicating project and initiative plans and progress including:
- Roadmaps, quarterly plans
- Celebration of wins and creating awareness
- Setting expectations and timelines
- Updating on status
- Highlighting risk
- Identifying inefficiencies in processes, products, and technology and driving improvements.
Technical Program Managers need to deliver impact so they are expected to deliver results but they don’t have direct authority. This requires a significant level of skills and creativity in leadership and influence.
Here are some skills that come in handy for TPMs to be successful.
- Impact oriented who can identify how initiatives and effort can move the needle for the organization.
- Broad technical expertise.
- Detail oriented and ability to drive initiatives to completion
- Analytical thinking and problem solving.
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to influence various stakeholders including technical leaders and executive management.
- Exposure to high growth, large-size companies
- Bachelor's degree or above in a relevant discipline
- 10+ years of relevant experience
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status