Senior Software Engineer, Trust - Permissions Infrastructure
San Francisco, United States or
Seattle, United States
What is Trust at Airbnb?
Over two million people stay on Airbnb every night and the Trust Engineering team keeps our hosts and guests safe and supported throughout the entire Airbnb experience.
As part of the Trust Engineering team you will be in charge of designing and building scalable and robust systems to detect and mitigate fraud across our entire platform. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and real-time risk detection services in close collaboration with product, data science and operations teams to understand ever evolving attack vectors and to make Airbnb the most safe and trusted community.
There are still many unsolved problems to tackle in both online and offline for Trust, and we're looking for talented engineers to solve these challenges with us.
What is a Backend Engineer on Trust at Airbnb?
The Permissions Infrastructure team is responsible for providing authorization as a service to protect all sensitive data access at Airbnb. Himeji is part of a Tech Stack 2.0 initiative - one of the key initiatives sponsored by the CTO (air/himeji), with a goal to provide a central stated permissions system inspired by Google’s Zanzibar.
As a Backend Engineer on the Permissions Infrastructure team, you will get an opportunity to scale our high throughput distributed authorization system, Himeji. You will also get a chance to improve our developer tools, built to automate most of Himeji integration while also providing observability and basic tooling capabilities for developers using Himeji. Furthermore, you will get a chance to work on our offline permission backfill pipelines written in Spark/Scala to improve both the ingestion efficiency and consistency of authorization data stored in our offline data warehouse. Lastly, you will also get a chance to collaborate with various teams across Airbnb engineering to drive adoption of Himeji.
- 5+ years industry experience
- Experience with Java / Scala is preferred
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and experimental A/B testing
- Exposure to architectural patterns of large, high-scale web applications, such as well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, and efficient algorithms.
- Experience or desire to work on machine learning algorithms and end-to-end model development
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product, data science, operations, and research partners.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.