Data Science Manager, Inference - Hosting Platform
San Francisco, United States
The Hosting Platform team is responsible for critical parts of the Host experience including the core tools that Hosts use to manage their listings and the system to collect and leverage structured data about homes. Improving both of these are critical priorities for the company in 2021 and beyond. Success of these initiatives to improve the quality of the structured data we collect and the effectiveness of the tools we provide hosts will have a transformative effect on the business.
Data Science will play a significant role in this work, and we need a technical leader who can both drive data science strategy and build the data products and models we need.
Key DS initiatives that need direct support and/or strategic guidance include:
- Connecting changes in short term host behavior to longer term host term success.
- Building systems to optimize and personalize the host experience and designing experiments to validate the changes.
- Building a framework to prioritize coverage, including measuring the value of listing attributes (with respect to bookability, CS costs and more) and estimating how effective we are at driving coverage through different channels.
- Setting ML strategy. ML initiatives include extracting structured data from unstructured sources (e..g images, descriptions, message threads) and partnering with Ops to make human review processes more efficient.
- Establishing processes for evaluating ground truth, so that we can measure our successes in driving attribute coverage and assessing accuracy.
- Guiding data foundations work so that we have the right data models in place to measure progress on coverage, effectiveness and value.
- Set the short and long term roadmap for Hosting DS work in this space.
As well as deep inference and modeling skills, this role will require technical leadership, stakeholder management and the ability to form strong partnerships with cross-functional and data science peers. This is a high impact, high visibility position.
- 6+ years professional experience, or PhD in a quantitative field including Applied Math, Statistics, Operations Research, Economics, or Computer Science
- Experience as a Tech Lead or equivalent position is highly preferred
- Experience working with cross functional leadership
- Proven achievements resulting from data analysis
- Proven ability to succeed in both collaborative and independent work environments
- Experience with languages used for querying (e.g. Hive/Pig/SQL), preprocessing (e.g. unix/python), and statistical analysis (e.g. R/Python)
- Experience developing or contributing to a technical roadmap or project planning is a plus
- $2000 yearly employee travel coupon
- Competitive salary
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life & disability coverage
- 401K match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status