Senior Software Engineer, Storage & Database
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
The Storage team’s mission is to provide a world-class storage experience to developers that is reliable, scalable, compliant and easy to use in a cost efficient way. The Storage team builds various in-house storage solutions that power Airbnb, such as horizontally scalable MySQL clusters, globally distributed transactional storage systems, in-memory / SSD-backed distributed key-value store, caching platform, etc.
As a senior technical contributor, you will bring a unique skill set, experience, thought leadership and technical expertise to our organization, and work to solve broad technical challenges and deep dive into our most critical infrastructure projects. You’ll work on shaping Airbnb’s storage architecture and investing in long-term solutions that will serve the company effectively for the next decade.
What we are looking for:
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment
- Hands-on experience and expertise in reliability engineering for distributed storage / database systems (MySQL, TiDB/CockroachDB, HBase, Cassandra, Redis, etc)
- The knack for writing clean, readable, testable, maintainable code
- The ability to decompose large-scale distributed systems and figure out failure scenarios and debug them in an efficient manner
- Great collaboration and communication skills with customer-first mindset
- Knowledge of public cloud platforms (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc)
Some examples of our current work:
- Next generation distributed transactional database systems supporting data locality, compliance, multi-region / multi-cloud setup
- In-memory / SSD-backed distributed key-value storage systems serving from online to ML use cases
- Unified Data Store that aims to deliver a reliable, scalable, and global system-of-record storage infrastructure for Airbnb’s core entities built around an expressive, easy to use, and unified schema
- Unified transactional data ingestion pipeline from online storage to offline data infrastructure
- Chaos engineering for stateful services running on Kubernetes
- Design and development of next generation data pipeline to power critical ML use cases