Senior Engineering Manager, Cloud Infrastructure
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking for hands-on, and mission-driven engineering managers to lead our engineering teams.
The role will be managing Airbnb's Cloud Infrastructure team:
This team is responsible for delivering and operating the foundational platforms and cloud environment that powers Airbnb. With users around the world - reliability, scalability, efficiency and high availability are our teams's core concerns.
As an Engineering Manager in Cloud Infra, you’ll lead a team of talented software developers to solve our broad technical challenges and deep dive into our most critical infrastructure projects.
Your team will work on the fundamental infrastructure components that all other teams at Airbnb build upon, such as our compute platform, cloud services, service mesh, cloud provisioning and networking stack.
We value Engineering Managers who have:
- 10+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 4+ hands-on technical management experience
- Experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications. Experience building and leading platforms is a plus.
- Retained, mentored and hired senior engineers and leaders with a track record of building productive, world-class engineering teams.
- Effectively worked with senior leadership in setting strategic 6+ month direction.
- Experience with effectively creating alignments with multiple teams and operating well in ambiguity
- Track record in partnering with recruiting to build incredible engineering teams
- Actively coached and mentored team members in their careers
- Been actively involved in setting product strategy
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Shipped several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
What we’ve done:
- Introduced a Kubernetes backed compute platform to the company and led the migration of hundreds of new and existing services to Kubernetes, helping to deprecate Airbnb’s monolith.
- Built out the first phase of our next generation service mesh using Envoy and Istio to connect all of Airbnb’s services.
- Rolled out auto-scaling across all of Airbnb’s Kubernetes clusters to provide elasticity and improved efficiency.
- Built tooling to allow users to deploy microservices to production with a simple set of commands.
- Shipped a distributed counting service, which is one of the highest throughput services, that powers other applications at Airbnb.
- Delivered a framework for cross-region data backup and recovery.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.