Staff Technical Program Manager, Homes
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. As an economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add a technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Technical Program Manager (TPM) to the team.
About Hosting at Airbnb
When Airbnb first started, we introduced the world to Hosting. Hosting is Airbnb’s core business and we work on everything from driving improvements to the Host experience to launching new product verticals from the ground up. The Hosting team aims to inspire and empower people around the world to live richer lives by Hosting on Airbnb. Hosting means many things here at Airbnb. We support Hosts who offer individual Homes, Experiences, multiple Homes, and Hotels on the platform. Within engineering, Hosting is critical to driving and maintaining our Airbnb Community, with our work significantly impacting a wide range of products and users. If you are energized by having your work gain high visibility to millions of users and drive impact for the company's bottom line, Hosting is a great place to launch and amplify your Airbnb career.
About the Role
TPMs at Airbnb work on a variety of complex projects/programs that touch multiple services, functions and teams, and hence are required to keep the big picture in focus while being able to dive into the details, working through unique challenges we face daily. It is a highly leveraged role that aims to improve the quality and velocity of work across cross-functional teams by acting as a “force multiplier”. This includes managing project schedules, identifying risks, discussing the technical trade-offs with engineers, and maintaining clear communications across multiple stakeholder groups across the organization. They make work repeatable by creating and improving processes where applicable. In short, they get things done by bringing clarity out of chaos, diving into the details, and communicating clearly and in a timely manner. They're good at building relationships, motivating others with vision, and persuading with data.
- Develop program scope and objectives, collaborate with all relevant stakeholders, ensure technical feasibility and drive projects end-to-end
- Aligning on staffing, priorities and technical dependencies within Hosting and cross-functional teams like Payments, and Guest Experience both in terms of quarterly planning, and managing ongoing risk escalation/ mitigation which could impact the success of the programs.
- Manage Technical Design diligence process for large programs aligning design backlog w/ project plan, scheduling reviews and pre-reviews, engaging the right stakeholders across teams, and managing meeting quality and efficiency.
- Manage effective communications to leadership and across teams on key decision, status, and risks to ensure accountability and timeline management.
- Understand best practices, drive for process improvements, and find new ways of operating, with a focus on simplification and productivity.
- Drive Hosting-wide and org-wide technical initiatives as we evolve our technical stack to scale for the next decade
- Provide visibility into key performance indicators so leaders are aware of risks and opportunities.
- Experience developing processes where few exist, and demonstrated flexibility to get things done.
- Demonstrated ability to work through ambiguity to detailed solutions. You can take a vague problem, crisply frame the challenge, identify a path forward, and drive an initiative over the finish-line.
- Self-motivated, proactive and proven ability to adapt well and work with teams having different operating cadences.
- Detail-oriented and able to understand the bigger picture by using your technical expertise and problem solving abilities to prioritize and manage blocking issues.
- Experience working in a highly cross-functional environment where communication with multiple groups is imperative.
- Ability to ramp up quickly and learn new technologies with minimal lag time.
- Excellent written and oral business communication and people skills, with the ability to influence stakeholders.
- Exhibit knowledge of Jira or other equivalent task management tooling.
- BA/BS degree, 10 years experience in software development industry
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status