Staff Software Engineer, Product Site Reliability Engineer
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Site Reliability Engineering at Airbnb:
Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) are responsible for the overall performance and reliability of Airbnb's infrastructure and products. SREs design and implement the tools that automate building reliable and performant systems.
What makes Site Reliability Engineering different at Airbnb?
- We emphasize building tools over manual processes. We create, not operate. Things should go from repeatable to automated quickly
- We're rooted in open source (http://airbnb.io/) and give as much back to the community as possible with both new and contributions to existing projects
- Our job is to focus on building reliable infrastructure and tools for our product teams so that they can focus on solving user problems and new features, not reinventing platforms
- SREs don't sit on the other side of the tossing fence -- we're a first class engineering citizen and help lead our infrastructure focus
What are some examples of Site Reliability Engineering work at Airbnb?
- Develop self service tooling to allow product engineering teams to efficiently utilize resources when launching applications in our Kubernetes clusters
- Develop an AWS Cost Attribution framework that allows teams to understand the costs associated with running their service
- Work with product engineering teams on design and implementation choices of large scale distributed systems
- Automate as much as humanly possible and always configure as code
- Bring ideas to life (i.e. production) to help make the lives of engineers better
- Predict our future failures and work proactively to mitigate them
- Advocate and implement reliable design patterns (circuit breakers, graceful degradation, etc.)
Some examples of SRE projects are:
- Working on our next generation internal platform for efficiently automating our AWS infrastructure for ease of use by our product engineers
- Automating our alerts configuration tool for Datadog to work with dynamic thresholds
- Optica, a tool for keeping track of nodes in an infrastructure
- Building automation around determining the causation and correlation of events in our infrastructure
The following experience is relevant to us:
- 10+ years of industry experience
- Knowledge of AWS services
- Experience bringing software to production at high scale
- The knack for writing, clean, readable, maintainable code
- An eye for automation and instrumentation
- The ability to decompose complex systems and find failure scenarios
- Great communication skills
- Contributions to open source software