Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. An economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
About the team
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join the Guest Experience team. The team is responsible for the end to end guest experience on Airbnb,from the landing pages such as the homepage, the search and listing pages, the signup and booking flow and the actual pre and on-trip experience. The Data Science team works closely with product and engineering to power the guest side data ecosystem and influence product development.
You will join the guest lifecycle data science team, with 3 other data scientists, responsible to understand and grow guests from organic growth channels (SEO, emails, push, co-travellers) to the quality of the trip experience and impact on repeat travel, as well as in product trade-offs such as cross-category upsells (Experiences, Plus, Luxe, etc.). You will build the foundations of scalable analytics and measurement frameworks , and influence product strategy. The ideal candidate has an eye for detail, great communication, and a keenness for problem solving. In this role you will:
- Develop analytics frameworks and foundations to enable easy actionable insights and reliable measurement.
- Collaborate with data engineers on infrastructure, tools and processes that enable better data logging, and manage the timeliness and accessibility of data tables.
- Build foundations of attribution data models for upsells across the entire guest journey
- Define data models/representations to provide a lens of guests’ trips as a single unit incorporating trips with multiple bookings and co-travelers.
- Conduct exploratory analysis - go deep into the data to develop hypotheses and to answer complex business questions.
- Think strategically about how to scale the work that you and the teams do. Develop tools and automated processes that project the work out to a broader audience. Strategize on democratizing data and insights to make analyses easily repeatable and generalizable by other team members in the future.
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with an ETL framework like Airflow
- Proven ability to succeed in both collaborative and independent work environments
- Passion for high data quality and scaling data science work
- Demonstrated track record of product leadership and ability to lead and influence teams
- Product analytics experience with a two-sided marketplace or e-commerce business is a plus.
- Experience in data model architecture and schema design
- Expert in at least one programming language for data analysis (Python or R)
- Experience with technical mentorship of other data scientists
- Experience with experimentation and machine learning techniques
- $2,000 yearly employee travel coupon
- Competitive salary
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life & disability coverage
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.