Director of Strategy
San Francisco, United States
Founded in 2008, Airbnb is a global travel community that offers magical end-to-end trips, including where you stay, what you do and the people you meet. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs. Airbnb’s accommodation marketplace offers access to millions of places to stay in more than 191 countries, from apartments and villas to castles, treehouses and B&Bs. With Experiences, people can see a different side to a destination through unique, handcrafted activities run by locals, while a partnership with Resy provides access to the best local restaurants in selected countries. All of this is brought together in one easy-to-use and beautifully designed website and app. It takes an entire team united behind something big. Together, we work hard, we laugh a lot, we brainstorm nonstop, and are passionate about the company and our values.
Trust is the foundation of our global community. To help build that trust, we want the interactions between our hosts and guests to embody our community and company values so that everyone can continue to travel safely and securely.
The values and expectations articulated by our Community Policies & Programs team result in intentional, consistent outcomes for our community members. Our team is focused on transforming our standards to deliver trust at scale in collaboration with our cross-functional partners.
For the role of Director of Strategy, we’re looking for a proven leader who is eager to work cross-functionally and whose success will require seamlessly blending human-centric and analytic problem solving. This leader will tackle difficult questions related to a three sided marketplace, balancing the safety and expression needs of our community and business and operational challenges. This leader will report directly to the team’s senior executive, leading the development of a multi-year strategy to put our community first and build trust. This individual must come with experience working with seasoned executives, and be able to work with and influence people across entire organizations across Airbnb.
This leader will do fast-paced research, writing, and partner coordination, to lead the growth of our Trust platform at scale, providing deep business acumen and thought leadership of how businesses operate and deliver..
To be successful in this role, the leader must be bold and considered by their industry peers as a driving force. Confidence to take calculated risks is a must. Relationship building is essential, especially with our Finance and program management teams, but the leader must be able to balance execution with forging relationships. We are looking for a leader that can balance many complex global strategic assignments at once, and build a highly thriving team simultaneously. It is critical that this leader understands the interplay between technology advances and operational management, and be steeped in FP&A experience.
Who You Are:
- A bold visionary with the ability to implement disruptive initiatives, highly organized and motivated, with a bias for action and impact.
- Strong sense of urgency for and commitment to Airbnb’s mission of belonging.
- Expert level of financial planning and business analysis and ROI justification modeling.
- Program Management experience within the social media industry, a plus.
- Has held a multitude of roles and/or has extensive experience with seasoned executives to provide a range of business acumum and thought leadership on a range of topics.
- Strong communicator with experience in facilitation and influence across all levels; skilled at addressing both large and small audiences across multiple leadership levels and functions.
- Lead the advancement of our long-range strategic plan with the Trust organization.
- Manage a team that handles the tactical planning processes for including 6-12 month annual planning/roadmaps, goal setting, and investment planning.
- Lead the Program management office focused on managing the throughput of projects across the globe. Setting and monitoring KRs, working closely with our analytics team.
- Create an activity based cost approach for financial planning of our expense to revenue model for operations.
- Manage a team that handles the operating budget partnering with Finance, Sourcing, and business analysts to drive understanding of cost drivers (quarterly outcomes), activity based costing for agent rates and mix, and productivity levers used to drive the operations business.
- Partner with the vendor management team to uncover cost savings, cost drivers, and impacts of our operational plans for the future.
- Assess new operational investments and opportunities created by our team for reasonability, affordability, and scaling opportunities.
- Drive business results with a high-caliber and engaged global team, demonstrated history of achievement and innovative leadership.
- Design and lead activities to measure efficacy of policies and supporting enforcement activities.
- Build relationships with and serve as subject-matter expert and advisor for cross-functional stakeholders across the business including but not limited to Public Policy, Legal, Product, Communications and Business Development.
- Participate in communicating global policies that impact broad-reaching issues of safety and expression.
- Build a high-performing team that is focused on long-range planning, PMO, team ethos, culture, and internal comms.
- 15+ years experience in an Operations, or Trust and Safety environment; content moderation experience strongly preferred
- Strategic planning expertise, along with demonstrable experience in program management
- Proven ability to set vision and direction for new teams, prioritizing objectives and resources to scale impact over time
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing multi-partner projects
- Clear facility with novel and highly abstract ideas; Ability to formulate responses quickly and accurately
- Demonstrated experience problem-solving in demanding environments
- Coordinate team processes, and multiple large projects
- Demonstrated expertise for breaking down challenging, layered instructions into logical, accessible choices
- Natural coalition builder, with demonstrated experience leading complex, cross-functional projects in a demanding environment
- Thoughtful judgment, strategic thinker, and ability to work well under pressure.
- Exceptional presentation, written, and oral communication skills
- Strong time management and prioritization capabilities
- University degree or equivalent years of work experience (minimum 8 years)
- Flexibility to travel 25% per year (global and regional) required