Engineering Manager, Cities (Regulatory Platform) - Bangalore
The Cities team focuses on creating tools and services that support home-sharing and our community of hosts in the larger ecosystem, with external stakeholders like neighbors, cities, governments, and other public sector institutions. We do this by partnering with those stakeholders to create win-win solutions that support our community and benefit society at large.
The team is developing a regulatory product platform that allows us to offer product solutions to cities around the world that are based on our policy objectives. Instead of exclusively building custom tools for each city, we have embarked on building an industry-first scalable platform which we use to create jurisdiction-specific solutions efficiently. Our long-term goal is to be able to launch a solution in any city with minimal to no engineering effort.
To accomplish these goals, we work closely with Policy teams around the globe, and Legal, Data Science and Operations colleagues. This invigorating cross-functional partnership is a defining element of software engineering on the Cities team, one that maximizes the impact of the products we build and contributes to Airbnb’s leading position in the home-sharing economy. If you are passionate about using technology to make a positive impact on the world, this is the right team for you!
What you will do:
As an Engineering Manager on the Cities team, your work will directly contribute to one of the most potent elements of Airbnb’s commitment to operate as a 21st-century company by enabling us to strengthen, partner with, and earn the trust of the communities we serve. The software systems your team builds will help cities implement and manage home-sharing regulations at scale around the world, and make it easier for our hosts to know about and comply with those regulations.
Your responsibilities and contributions will take a variety of forms, including:
- Hiring, managing, and retaining a high-performing team of talented, passionate, and mission-driven software engineers
- Fostering a welcoming, supportive, inspiring, and otherwise unique team culture
- Working closely with a diverse set of partners and stakeholders across engineering, product, design, data science, policy, operations, and legal disciplines
- Collaborating effectively with teammates, partners, and stakeholders in the United States and Europe
- Contributing to the team’s technical and product strategies
- Driving team execution to improve dev efficiencies, technical quality, and system reliability/performance
- Mentoring your engineers and nurturing their career growth
What you need to succeed
- 8+ years of full-time work experience in software engineering, information technology, or a related domain, including 4+ years of hands-on technical management experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, or equivalent experience
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and experimental A/B testing
- Strong coding abilities and an understanding of the architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications
- Experience in architecting, building, and maintaining highly-available services in a large service-oriented architecture (SOA)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail, bias for action, and the ability to tackle ambiguous problems
- Experience in partnering with other leaders to set product strategy
- Experience in partnering with recruiters to build incredible engineering teams
- A proven track record of effectively coaching and developing engineers
- Ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product, data science, policy, operations, and legal partners
- Ability to create and sustain a healthy team culture and make cultural choices that positively impact all of engineering