Director, Community Support
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
The Director, Community Support will be responsible for service delivery for all sub-teams within the Community Support vertical including Volume tiers, Speciality Tiers like Payments, Compliance, Regulatory Response, Claims, Data Labeling, Hotline and any new service line across multiple channels (voice, email, chat, online). This role will also be responsible for identifying performance improvements opportunities and driving those efficiencies through the shared services teams like Quality, Training, Workforce Management and Service Excellence teams within Community Support. To be successful in this role, the Leader must be comfortable in working in an ambiguous, growing and agile environment, and be passionate about customer experience. As a Leader, this role will also be responsible for driving Airbnb’s culture within Airbnb Capability Center and aligning CS and all the sub-teams with the overall strategic objectives of Airbnb by creating a culture of service delivery excellence and driving improvement through innovation in pursuit of growing its service offerings.
What you’ll do
- Act as a visionary who delivers high business performance whilst building an inclusive and collaborative culture
- Drive strategic initiatives and long-range goal planning for the Community Support business
- Set strategic goals for operational efficiency and increased productivity
- Inspire as a Leader who brings out the best in the team
- Develop and coach managers to become future leaders
- Translate company goals into clear and comprehensive directives for teams. Support and grow direct reports as they implement new directives.
- Stay ahead of the growth and business direction and ensure that operations at Airbnb Capability Center are set up for success.
- Keep an active look out for risks, potential gains and issues to anticipate advancements and opportunities to advance the teams’ goals.
- This role will be responsible for service delivery for all sub teams within Community Support including:
- Volume Tiers: Community Education (CE), Resolutions 1 (R1) & Resolutions 2 (R2)
- Specialty tiers: Payments, Regulatory Response, Claims etc.
- Shared services teams: Quality, Training, WFM, Service Excellence & Pilot projects team
- Support various leaders of Business Functions, Markets and Service Managers to determine best strategic customer programs and locations for the future growth.
- Partner with stakeholders to optimise existing service delivery and create growth strategy for Airbnb Capability Center through business planning and collaboration
- Work with CS Support Products (SuP) engineering teams to be a strong source of feedback for customer needs and gaps. Ensure that any barriers to excellent service are understood and shared with the product team via Customer Voice programs.
- Ensures that necessary systems are in place and are used to capture and report service metrics like Productivity, Quality, net promoter score (NPS), Escalation Rate, SLAs, Backlog Aging etc.
- Partner with global teams to understand the root cause of performance challenges and drive continuous business improvement.
- Monitor costs and losses across the Airbnb Capability Center CS operations teams
- Lead and/or participate in Operations-specific and/or company wide projects that may be assigned by leadership.
- Seasonal or Special projects based on the needs of the team or the customer
- Provide guidance on serious escalations in collaboration with global teams, stakeholders etc. as required.
- Ensure employee engagement within the CS teams by creating supportive connections within the whole team and utilizing effective and open communication to help translate the mission of Airbnb into meaningful and clear goals.
- Manage and support the Operations Managers to design and influence employee experience programs as needed.
- Maintain responsibility for team structure, recruiting, onboarding and training by working with CS leadership, direct reports and other business partners in Employee Experience.
What you need to succeed
- Degree in business administration or management preferred
- 20+ years of professional experience with proven ability to direct and supervise a large team.
- Experience leading customer-facing or operations teams of 500+ employees
- Track record of delivering results, as well as supportive, considerate, responsible, and inclusive leadership to an organization
- Experience of working in fast paced and rapidly changing organization
- Exceptional influence leadership skills, in an indirect, matrix-based, multicultural, multi-language and virtual environment, operates as a global leader with understanding and appreciation for regional differences
- Passionate about maximizing the power of diversity within the organization and driving an inclusive environment.
- Track record to drive business results through inspirational leadership, empowering people to act with speed, agility, and accountability to deliver the organizational goals.
- Ability to adapt to change and manage feedback constructively to ensure proactive management of stakeholder concerns and suggestions
- Ability to reinforce a culture oriented on customer experience and focused on continuous improvement while building employee-centric repeatable and sustainable processes
- Track record of building positive working relationships with people who work in a challenging and at times stressful work environment.
We are looking for: A go-getter! Someone who can roll up their sleeves and make things happen
- Collaboration, Communication & Influencing Skills: Should be known for driving business results within the company and outside. Should have a strong sense of ‘customer service’ and the requisite communication skills to communicate objectives clearly and then develop collaborative relationships both internally and externally to achieve these. Proven ability to influence Cross Functional and business leaders is key to this role.
- Learning Agility & Openness to Change: Proven ability to manage multiple priorities effectively. Also, with a proven ability to learn new skills, gain mastery in new industries, being comfortable with ambiguity and adapt to changing business needs and priorities.
- Functional expertise:
- Adept with Customer Management and Experience skills
- Should have an aptitude for evolving technology in the market and how to leverage it to drive/ improve business results
- Should employ a data-driven approach in the decision-making process and also be well-versed in data analytics
- Leadership & People management skills:
- Strong leadership and collaboration skills and the ability to work with the team in a flexible, innovative environment
- Proactively build good morale and cooperation within a team
- Persistent, result driven, hands on
- Ability to educate others on the use of systems and process
- Strong networking and influencing skills
- Credo driven behavior. Model team behavior and acts as an inspiration to others related to team behavior while providing coaching and developmental opportunities
- Strong Project Management skills
- Embrace the adventure with peers, partners, and teams and using inclusive communication skills to cultivate professional relationships with key partners.
- Use innovative channels of communication to keep teams up-to-date with day-to-day changes in expectations and goals that are relevant to their roles.
- Be a team player focused on what is right for our community, and Airbnb
- Proficient in English (written and spoken)
- Flexibility to partner with and adapt to a diverse range of cultures and business disciplines
- Ability to navigate a global, multicultural, multi-language, highly matrix-ed organization
- Strong collaboration, partnering and negotiation skills