Senior Compliance Officer
San Francisco, United States or
Seattle, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
The Senior Payments Risk and Compliance Officer is a senior leader on the Payments Risk and Compliance Team, leading a large portion of the Payments Risk and Compliance team, overseeing projects and managing Operations. The position is responsible for leading the ongoing design, refinement and maintenance of our Payments Risk and Compliance programs. This role reports into the Chief Compliance Officer (Payments) and serves as a senior leader and people manager tasked with leading a portion of the team to ensure that our policies, programs and operational processes are best in class, designed to mitigate risks to the business, and ready for regulatory examinations in all relevant jurisdictions.
- Lead Compliance and Risk team members as a people manager, design our organization to ensure that we continue to scale to match the growth of our business, ensure that our team is appropriately staffed with Compliance and Risk professionals who are empowered to carry out our payments compliance and risk programs
- Serve as a leader within Airbnb Payments, use your subject matter expertise to partner with product and engineering teams to ensure that products meet Risk and Compliance requirements
- Oversee the Operations team, continuously evolve our operational processes to ensure that they scale with our business and become more effective and efficient over time
- Hire and manage teams in international market locations in support of the evolution of our Payments platform in new markets
- Work with the Compliance and Risk Product, Engineering, Data Science and Design teams to develop and implement best in class processes and systems, continuously evolve our process
- Develop and maintain the company’s Risk and Compliance Policies and program for all relevant regulated jurisdictions
- Use data to provide impactful quantitative storytelling that enables confident business decisions.
- Coordinate with cross-functional business leaders to understand evolving product requirements and ensure that our Compliance and Risk program can support the evolution of our products
- Coordinate with the Compliance Officer to understand evolving trends and risks to the business, design controls based on our risk assessment to mitigate risks
- Ensure compliance and financial risks are identified and raised for consideration to the CCO board as appropriate
- Independently manage your portion of our program and team
- Create, manage and maintain metrics to monitor team and program effectiveness, and ensure management has 24/7/365 visibility of the health of the Compliance and Risk programs
- Bachelor’s Degree or Technical Equivalent
- 12+ Years work experience, with demonstrated experience in payments, banking, or e-commerce
- People management experience, managing Compliance and Risk operations and project teams
- Advanced knowledge of financial risk, regulatory and compliance issues related to payments and many of the applicable regulations both in the US and abroad.
- Demonstrated experience working with product and engineering to define requirements and implement effective technical tools
- Strong systems thinker
- Superior writing skills
- Ability to clearly articulate compliance requirements to a non-compliance audience
- Ability to work closely and build trust with management and board members
- Exceptional organization and process management ability
- High level of personal integrity, interest in payments as evidenced by related work experience, proven dedication to excellence, leadership qualities and a flexible, creative, innovative approach to problem solving
- Mission-driven, enthusiastic to learn and grow within the Airbnb community and embody our Core Values; team-oriented with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Professional experience and/or certification in project management a plus.
- Professional certification in compliance or risk management preferred (CAMS/CFE/CFCS certification)