Senior Electrical Engineer
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb is looking for an experienced lead electrical engineer based in San Francisco. This is a senior leadership role with the responsibility to shape the engineering design of the consumer electronics product line. This is an opportunity to get on the ground floor of a new organization, and help establish the technical direction of the team, and help shape the engineering culture and its standards of excellence. This individual will have hands-on involvement and oversight of all aspects of hardware development, including working collaboratively within a highly technical cross-functional team. You will play a key role in meeting key requirements for overall engineering, manufacturability, time to market, and cost. The role comes with ample opportunity to engage with leadership at all levels of the organization.
You will work collaboratively with teams from Industrial Design, User Experience, Software, Supply Chain, Operations Program Management, and Manufacturing, in addition to the multiple disciplines within Hardware Engineering. You will translate high-level requests and communication into actionable hardware direction, working with key stakeholders to ensure agreement on the proposed solution and generating the necessary documentation to facilitate implementation.
We are seeking a lead with strong engineering and communications skills who can provide guidance and empower the technical teams and influence major engineering decisions. This is a cross-functional role and we are looking for a team player who loves collaboration and never shies away from a problem. We need an engineer who seeks out risks and mitigates them, who is an expert communicator to both technical and non-technical partners, and has excellent organization.
- Select major components, implement the design, debug and characterize embedded systems with end-to-end ownership of EE product design from concept to production
- Design schematics, drive board layouts, assembly, test, debug, and integrate designs into electro-mechanical systems
- Optimize architecture and circuits for performance, power and signal integrity, and battery life
- Bring up and debug embedded consumer hardware
- Lead lab measurements and factory test debug as needed to validate the design and resolve any issues
- Track test progress, bugs, and fixes and drive changes to design based on resolution
- Work closely with CM resources to leverage their engineers and maximize the focus of internal resources on adding value to our products
- Familiarity with typical consumer electronics product development lifecycle
- Design, test, and supervise manufacturing of analog, digital and RF electrical systems for consumer electronics, including both printed and flexible circuit boards
- Validate RF performance and make design adjustments as needed to ensure best performance
- Partner with Mechanical Engineers to design best PCB solution accounting for RF and audio space constraints
- Implement engineering best practices such as design reviews, DFMEA sessions, design and build readiness reviews, and test planning
- Ensure clear definition of engineering requirements and create the corresponding spec documents and test plans
- Create documentation for specifications, design options, test plans, product requirements, product certification planning, and product reliability requirements
- Coordinate and communicate with external contract manufacturing partners in different global locales, and work around language and culture barriers to establish good working relationships.
- Travel in the Contiguous US and globally as needed to support product launches.
- 7+ years of experience in Consumer Electronics with a track record of delivering hardware devices to the market.
- Experience working with global contract manufacturers.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, or physics
- Deep experience with consumer electronics, hardware product development, and manufacturing processes
- Experience with designing in schematic capture tools, layout tools, design and test analysis tools such as Matlab, LabView and Python , … etc.
- Expertise in hardware integration including: SOC, microcontrollers, microprocessors (ARM), FPGA Processor peripheral interfaces (PCIe, USB, I2C, SPI, storage, high speed serial); High-speed signaling and camera electrical protocols (e.g., MIPI, LVDS, SDI); Power supply design and battery charging; Audio system design and integration
- Familiarity with CAD tools like Cadence OrCAD, Allegro, Altium
- Impeccable organization, clear communication, and high attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and with minimal guidance to execute on agreed upon project deliverables.