Safety Specialist (German)
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
No global movement springs from individuals. It takes an entire team united behind something big. On the Community Support team at Airbnb, we’re proud to be at the forefront of the sharing economy. We recognize that we are the leaders of a new, worldwide phenomenon, and that’s why we’re working so hard to build the world’s most loyal travel community.
Together, our team provides support to more than 900 million lifetime guests and 5.6 million listings in over 220 countries. We work hard, we laugh a lot, and we’re committed to creating a world where anyone can belong anywhere.
We are looking for a talented and experienced person, who will look after a variety of Safety concerns for our community, including but not limited to: Personal Safety Threats, Domestic Violence, Suicide or Self Harm, Child Exploitation, Physical Assault and Sexual Assault, Drugs activity, Sex Work and Human Trafficking. The successful candidate will be able to properly identify threatening and harmful circumstances, possess empathetic communication and quick decision making, with the goal of providing the best support possible for the Survivors and restore their status quo.
The successful candidate will assist with escalated issues and initiate the user dispute request process for personal safety incidents. Our specialists are responsible for the investigation of cases involving trauma or personal harm or brand risk, and negotiate collaboratively while verifying facts and reaching policy-based determinations for effective resolution. The candidate will maintain high levels of confidentiality while performing investigations, and will comprehensively document investigations through written reports and summaries.
We also work to educate our hosts and guests to promote positive experiences and maintain security and safety while using Airbnb responsibly. Amongst other responsibilities, you’ll also be responsible for managing cases involving damages, monitoring flagged and inappropriate content, and identify and report trends in online risk. You will work with Safety support teams to develop and enhance internal policies and tools.
- Focused on understanding and ramping up on core work, by establishing and maintaining rapport with community members, other team members and key stakeholders
- Recognize case type/severity while de-escalating crisis and managing other people’s emotions
- Focused on fully understanding policies and their rationale, while implementing them to ensure the best interest of our community is satisfied
- Working with Safety Lead to develop and enhance internal policies, processes and tools
- Ensure metrics driven performance
- Management of cases with varying complexities involving safety concerns, by using trauma informed methodology and best practices
- Implementation of emergency plans and ability to communicate them in an effective and sensitive manner to individuals needing support
- Ability to summarize incidents, collaborate across various support teams and keep key stakeholders informed
- Maintaining high levels of confidentiality while performing investigations
- University Degree and/or 3+ years relevant experience
- 1+ years of experience in customer experience, mediation, social work, psychology, emergency services, or a similar role
- Strong fluency in English and German a must
- Background in advocacy, crisis management, mediation, clinical/non-clinical social work, or e-commerce customer service. Humanitarian work or working experience with populations who have experienced various types of trauma will be a bonus
- Ability to plan, prioritise and organise tasks and communications
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written (email) and spoken (phone), to help our community in a tactful and diplomatic manner
- Excellent time management, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Passion for innovation with a ‘work smarter’, solution and action oriented mindset
- Ability to collaborate with internal stakeholders and/or third party providers to resolve conflicts in a detailed, effective and timely manner
- Calm and Empathetic - ability to adapt to any situation by personalizing responses and educating our community while remaining level headed in tough situations
- Emotional Intelligence - ability to recognise personal stress triggers and in others, self-awareness, bounce back and demonstrated ownership of self-care
- Ability to work under pressure and quick decision making when faced with conflicting demands