Senior Counsel, Product Partnerships
Atlanta, United States or
Los Angeles, United States or
New York, United States or
Portland, United States or
San Francisco, United States or
Seattle, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
In this role as a member of the Airbnb legal team, you will be responsible for supporting and providing commercial contracting and product counseling needs for a range of Airbnb business teams, focused on key strategic partnerships and unique deals growing supply and demand. You will advise product, operations, marketing and engineering teams, and other legal colleagues, on issues related to these commercial deals. You must have excellent judgment in balancing legal risks with business strategy and a proven ability to learn new areas of law and function independently in a demanding fast-paced environment. We’re looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative person who can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility, patience, and poise. While this is predominantly a commercial role, previous product counsel experience is a plus. Your role will require a high degree of self-sufficiency, organizational skills, proactivity and an ability to enjoy a quick-paced and busy environment. You will operate as part of a supportive, fun and friendly team.
This role will be located in San Francisco, CA; Portland, OR; Seattle, WA; Los Angeles, CA; New York City, NY; or Atlanta, GA.
- Draft, negotiate, and counsel on a wide range of commercial transactions and contract needs for our products - including partnership, marketing, licensing, service agreements, and unique deals - ensuring escalations and approvals happen appropriately, all while working with global team members.
- Provide pragmatic day to day and strategic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business interests and ensuring an excellent customer experience.
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, and high-tech laws affecting Airbnb’s business.
- Manage outside counsel on complex research issues with an eye toward driving business goals while effectively managing time and cost.
- Coordinate with product counsel colleagues and legal subject matter experts to ensure that commercial deals and business advice comply with relevant legal and regulatory standards and Airbnb’s practices.
- Work closely with US and global legal counterparts to understand the product, engineering, design, and operational implications across our contracts, commitments, and platform in order to provide globally-aligned legal advice.
- JD and 6-9+ years of relevant experience in law firms, governmental agencies, and/or in-house legal departments. In-house experience at a multinational, consumer-facing technology company in a product counseling capacity is strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and negotiation skills
- Knowledge of and experience applying regulations and industry guidelines (e.g. consumer protection law, CDA 230, DMCA, E-Commerce Directive, GDPR, CAN-SPAM, employee misclassification, data protection and security terms in agreements, and other regulations related to internet platforms) preferred.
- Commercial litigation and/or product counseling experience is a plus.
- Strong, proven ability to work cross functionally with business partners. A team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- General experience with working in an international and multicultural working environment with geographically dispersed team members.
- A strong working knowledge of the Airbnb platform, evolving product lines, and competitive landscape.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and pressurized environment and to act decisively.
- A self-starter who is resourceful and curious.
- A passion for Airbnb with a strong knowledge and keen interest in travel.
- Barred in a US state, preferably CA, or eligible to register as California Registered In-House Counsel.