Android Software Engineer, Guest Experience
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
About Guest Experience at Airbnb:
Guest Experience is responsible for the end-to-end guest experience on Airbnb. We’re responsible for a range of product surface areas including the homepage, search, booking, planning, and the pre-trip and on-trip experience. We also work on foundational core infrastructure that all Guest and Hosting teams build upon.
About the role:
We are looking for an Android engineer to join the Storefronts team within Guest Experience. The Storefronts team is responsible for the start of Airbnb’s guest product experience; helping users efficiently navigate Airbnb’s app and site, introducing new offerings on Airbnb’s global platform, and inspiring users to discover the world with Airbnb. The team works on a number of high impact surfaces across Airbnb’s homepage and key product and category pages.
The team is highly collaborative with its partners in design, product, data science, creative, and marketing to deliver features and experiences used by millions of people. We also work closely with other engineering teams on systems that enable engineers to: develop more efficiently; create improvements that make the product more performant and configurable; and build application architectures that are scalable and robust.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Developing new, highly-configurable UI components and libraries to power new features on Airbnb’s homepage and other high-traffic surfaces on Android. These components will be used to merchandise a wide array of interesting and new products from Airbnb.
- Developing new UIs to help users navigate Airbnb’s products on the Airbnb Android App.
- Working closely with cross functional partners in design, product, marketing, and data science to bring new features from design to production
- Prototyping new features to collect feedback and iterate towards ideal product solutions for Airbnb guests
- Contributing to the technical direction of the team's new features and systems and collaborate with foundation and infrastructure teams
What we are looking for:
- 2+ years of software engineering experience on Android platform
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Understanding of basic data structures and asynchronous programming
- Experience shipping one or more Android apps built with Java or Kotlin, ideally currently available in the Google Play Store
- Experience with server driven UI architectures and patterns
- Strong product, design, and UX sensibilities to balance technical limitations and product requirements to develop quality experience for users.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with cross functional and non-technical partners
- Willing to embrace challenges and changes with a positive attitude
- Nice to have: Experience with working with animations and media (e.g. video) on Android
- Nice to have: Experience with working with Jetpack Compose, MvRx, Epoxy