Data Scientist - Analytics, Host Quality
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to build our next generation of performance standards for hosts. In your function, you will interact with a cross-functional team to develop, measure and perfect these standards. We are looking for a candidate with excellent communication skills and strong leadership skills to achieve consensus with stakeholders. The best candidates will have a high comfort level with analytics, solid foundation in Experimentation and Statistics, and are driven by curiosity.
About Review and Standards
Standards and Reviews play hand-in-hand: Reviews provide the main stream of information about guest experience and the quality of the listings whereas Standards is the enforcement mechanism ensuring every guest stay is magical. Airbnb is always looking to make Standards more targeted with the lens of a fairer, more friendly Airbnb towards both our hosts and guests.
About Airbnb Hosting
Every day, millions of Airbnb hosts around the world create comfortable, reliable and welcoming Stays and Experiences for our guests. Hosting on Airbnb offers a unique way to meet our Hosts’ financial goals but the rewards for opening their home or sharing a passion go beyond their bank account. Hosting also offers the opportunity to impact their local community, share their culture and connect with people they wouldn’t have met otherwise.
Our Hosting organization exists to bring a wider array of diverse Hosts into the Airbnb Community, support their success, earn their trust and ensure their safety and security. As the world emerges from the COVID-19 pandemic, Airbnb aspires to lead the travel industry with an entirely new form of community-powered travel, where creatively-led design is at the core of our offering. We know that our global community of hosts is one of Airbnb’s most precious assets and we are very intentional on how we nurture the common identity of being an Airbnb Host.
- Craft new products as such our new performance standards: Identify metrics and threshold against which to enforce host Standards
- Collaborate with Engineering on setting up the implementation within our enforcement system (triggers, logging, ...)
- Assist in the launch of the new product
- Craft measurement plan, identify and assist in the implementation of fast follows
- Socialize and evangelize Data Science output among cross-functional stakeholders
- Run strategic analysis to help inform and shape the strategic direction of our greenfield projects
- Manage a variety of stakeholders who consume our data insights and who lead decision-making across pivotal areas of our business.
- 5+ years professional experience in data science, analytics, economic consulting, or finance
- MS or PhD in a quantitative field including Applied Math, Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science or Econometrics
- Proven achievements resulting from data analysis
- Strong communication/storytelling skills with a track record of presenting nuanced analyses to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience working with Product and/or Business partners
- Proven ability to succeed in both collaborative and independent work environments
- Fluent with languages used for querying (e.g. SQL/Spark) and statistical analysis (e.g. R/Python)