Engineering Manager, Airbnb.org
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Our community of hosts believes that everyone should have a safe place to call home. Inspired by their actions, we established Airbnb.org, a 501(c)(3) separate and independent nonprofit organization, which has helped provide safe housing for over 50,000 people to date in response to hundreds of emergency events around the world including hurricanes, wildfires, refugee crises, and a global pandemic. The Airbnb.org team within Airbnb works in support of the Airbnb.org non-profit. We believe everyone has something to share and build tools that enable impactful individual generosity at scale.
The Airbnb.org product team has a wide scope of ownership, including the Airbnb booking flow, hosting tools, relief worker travel management, donation tooling, and home-grown emergency response infrastructure.
We’re looking for an experienced engineering leader, passionate about social impact who can build and develop a high-performance engineering team, and provide strategic thought leadership on the Airbnb.org Leadership team.
We are a small team working in an evolving space, so our product team excels at a fluid work environment where responsibilities may change rapidly in response to sudden shifts in world events or government policy. As engineering manager, you’ll support the team in tackling these crisis response moments while steadily moving toward a stable product capable of delivering high quality, deep impact for the communities we serve.
Day to day responsibilities:
- Long term strategy & identifying product opportunities to drive social impact
- Manage eight person, cross discipline engineering team (fullstack, FE, mobile engine, data science)
- Balance team investment in long term products & architecture, scrappy crisis response, and technical quality initiatives.
- Work with cross functional product leads & team to shape the roadmap
- Foster teams professional development through coaching
- Leverage data insights to identify & advocate for product investments
Recent projects on the Airbnb.org team:
- Rapidly launched Frontline Stays during the first weeks of the COVID-19 pandemic, to provide free & discount housing to first responders on the front lines.
- Launched discounts for NGO partners to support Afghani refugee resettlement
- Ability to vet for need when guests are looking for housing after a natural disaster
- Designed, implemented, and analyzing initial survey to understand the impact our programs have the guests we serve
- 8+ years of relevant engineering work experience
- 3+ years of hands-on technical management experience
- Demonstrable interest in the social impact field.
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and impact analysis
- Attention to detail, bias for action, and the ability to tackle ambiguous problems
- Experience in partnering with senior leadership to set strategic 6+ month direction
- A proven track record of effectively coaching and developing engineers
- Experience breaking long term product strategy into milestones & bringing the team along on the vision.
- Ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product, data science, policy, operations, and legal partners
- Ability to create and sustain a healthy team culture and make cultural choices that positively impact all of engineering
Nice To Haves
- Experience with React and/or Java in high scale applications
- Experience balancing long term investments with immediate needs
- Experience managing data scientists
- Comfort leveraging data insights in strategic vision