Senior Staff Data Engineer - Host Central Data
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
What is Data Engineering at Airbnb?
We need to ensure every area of the business has trustworthy data to fuel insight and innovation. Understanding the business need, securing the right data sources, designing usable data models, and building robust & dependable data pipelines are essential skills to meet this goal.
At the same time, the technology used to create great data is continually evolving. We are moving to a reality where both batch & stream processing are leveraged to meet the latency requirements for the business. The Data Engineering paved path is still taking shape, and we want to collaboratively develop this to support the entire company. We need senior engineers who are passionate not only about the data, but also about improving the technology we leverage for Data Engineering.
We are looking for talented senior Data Engineers who are excited about redefining what it means to do Data Engineering. Data Engineering is part of our Engineering org as we believe great Data Engineering depends on solid Software Engineering fundamentals. However, we also recognize that each Data Engineer has a unique blend of skills. Whether your strength is in data modeling or in stream processing, we want to talk to you.
Why Data @ Airbnb?
Quality data is fundamental to Airbnb’s success. As a rapidly growing IPO company, we are in the middle of tremendous growth and transformation. We have been growing our Data Engineering practice for the past 2 years to enable the company’s success by building a solid data foundation. We are seeking stunning Senior Staff Data Engineers to help us define and realize our vision for trustworthy data across the company. This is a unique opportunity to shape Data Engineering for a strong, but high potential, company early in its lifecycle.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, you belong at Airbnb.
- Develop and automate large scale, high-performance data processing systems (batch and/or streaming) to drive Airbnb business growth and improve the product experience within the Airbnb Hosting Org.
- Evangelize high quality software engineering practices towards building data infrastructure and pipelines at scale.
- Lead data engineering projects to ensure pipelines are reliable, efficient, testable, & maintainable
- Design our data models for optimal storage and retrieval and to meet critical product and business requirements.
- Contribute to shared Data Engineering tooling & standards to improve the productivity and quality of output for Data Engineers across the company
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in CS/EE, or equivalent experience.
- Working with data at the petabyte scale.
- Experience designing, building and operating robust distributed systems.
- Experience designing and deploying high performance systems with reliable monitoring and logging practices.
- Effectively work across team boundaries to establish overarching data architecture, and provide guidance to individual teams.
- Working knowledge of relational databases and query authoring (SQL).
- Experience with Java / Scala / Spark.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.