Staff Software Engineer, Trust
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. An economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 191 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
What is Trust at Airbnb?
Airbnb is built on trust. Over two million people stay on Airbnb every night and the Trust Engineering team keeps our hosts and guests safe and supported throughout the entire Airbnb experience.
As part of the Trust Engineering team you will be in charge of designing and building scalable and robust systems to detect and mitigate fraud across our entire platform. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and real-time risk detection services in close collaboration with product, data science and operations teams to understand ever evolving attack vectors and to keep Airbnb a safe and trusted community.
There are still many unsolved problems to tackle in both online and offline risk, and we're looking for talented engineers to solve these challenges with us.
About the Screenings team on Trust
Screenings is a rapidly expanding team that aims to make Airbnb the safest place to stay and host. We are responsible for the physical safety of our users and preventing property damage to our listings.
We need to consider the unique situations of each country around the world. We think a lot about our users, and frequently search for patterns to prevent risk. Many of our challenges are greenfield problems unique to our company. These challenges require exploring data, experimenting with solutions, and building infrastructure that scales to all major user activities.
We hire engineers with a wide range of technical interests: those who enjoy building infrastructure and platforms, those with strong product sense who are able to quickly prototype and test ideas, and those who love machine learning and data analysis. We don't expect engineers to have all of the above skills, but to be strong in their preferred areas and also able to collaborate effectively as a team.
What is a Staff Software Engineer on the Screenings team?
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Screenings team, you will :
- Demonstrate technical leadership by mentoring team members, performing design and code reviews, and proactively raising the team's technical quality
- Architect, build, and maintain Risk Evaluation systems and associated infrastructure
- Architect, build, and maintain Policy Enforcement systems and associated infrastructure
- Analyze data to better understand user safety, and contribute to our team’s strategy
- Build data pipelines which support machine learning models that assess risk and assist operational decision making
- Work across engineering teams on projects that elevate not just our own systems and designs, but those of other teams as well
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners in product, data science, policy, and operations
- 8+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Strong coding skills in Java
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and experimental A/B testing
- Strong industry experience in architectural patterns of large, data-driven applications, API design, and data modeling
- Solid understanding of and adherence to engineering best practices
- Experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams with product, data science, operations, and policy partners
- Experience in data analysis and statistical modeling is a plus, but not a requirement
- Experience in Python and Ruby on Rails is a plus