Senior Counsel, Policy
New York, United States or
San Francisco, United States or
Washington DC, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb is seeking a business-oriented attorney with experience advising government affairs and public policy teams on legislation, regulation, and regulatory product compliance. This role is currently expected to be based in San Francisco Bay Area, New York City or Washington DC, though we are exploring our remote working model, and may update location options in the future.
Your primary focus will be advising Airbnb’s Public Policy stakeholders on a range of proactive policy initiatives and on state and local legislative, regulatory, and regulatory product compliance matters across North America (e.g., platform immunity/liability, short-term rental laws, data-sharing, zoning, and tax). You will also advise business, product and engineering teams on how legislation impacts Airbnb and implementation of product compliance solutions.
You must have excellent judgment and be deft in balancing legal risks with policy priorities and strategy with a proven ability to learn new areas of law and function independently in a demanding fast-paced environment. We’re looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative self-starter who can handle ambiguity, and shifting priorities with flexibility, patience, poise, and humor.
- Legal counsel supporting Airbnb’s Public Policy function as they advance policy and regulatory priorities.
- Provide legislative counseling, legal analysis, strategic planning guidance, and tactical solutions to Airbnb’s Public Policy and Business teams.
- Assist Airbnb’s Public Policy team with drafting, analyzing, and amending bills, administrative rules, and regulations at the state, local, and federal levels.
- Represent Airbnb in discussions with legislators and regulators regarding proposed and existing regulations affecting the business.
- Support the creation & implementation of internal regulatory compliance products and work with product teams to develop these.
- Become a trusted partner across Public Policy and Business teams.
- Support select cross-functional projects to improve our global policy positions.
- Provide focused and pragmatic advice on the implementation and impact of laws to product, business, and other legal teams.
- Qualified lawyer with Bar admission in the United States in the state of the office assigned.
- Preferred 9+ years of relevant experience advising companies on federal, state and local legislation and regulation (e.g., risk assessment, legislative drafting, legislative amendments, regulatory compliance solutions, advocacy materials, etc.).
- Strong, proven ability to work cross functionally and build consensus with internal partners.
- Provide concise and practical legal advice consistent with the law, Airbnb’s business objectives and risk tolerance.
- A team player with excellent judgment and interpersonal skills as you engage with lawyers, policymakers, and various internal teams.
- Computer literacy with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of integrity, professionalism, intellectual curiosity, sense of humor, and willingness to grow.
- Disdain for drama.