Product Manager, Financial Fraud
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
About Product Manager, Financial Fraud
Professional fraudsters are always looking for ways to exploit the Airbnb platform for their own financial gain. All it takes is for them to find one loophole, and they are launching an attack in order to make a large-scale fraud attempt. This is why it is critical to have a team who works to ensure that our system is protected against financial fraud. The outcome of this work is a platform that is protected from fraud losses, so that we can have a thriving business to serve our community’s needs and fulfill the mission of creating belonging everywhere.
As the Financial Fraud Product Manager, you will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Building models in order to detect financial fraud
- Building frictions, user education, and other deterrents when financial fraud is detected
- Partnering closely with the Homes and Experiences business units for context-specific detection and mitigation
- Partnering closely with Customer Support and Payments platform teams to create robust defenses
- Collaborating with other Product teams (inside and outside of Trust) to drive a holistic strategy that mitigates risk while providing the best user experience possible
- Ensuring that Trust operations teams have the tools they need to review and act on risky listings
- Working closely with important stakeholders such as legal counsel, Comms, Community Policy, and finance
- Leveraging user research and trend reports from operations to inform business decisions and prioritization of the roadmap
If you are the type of person who is absolutely committed to the mission of your team, is driven to bring out the best in those around you, has a love for data & user research, and can think like a bad actor while creating solutions that work for good users - then we look forward to meeting you!
- Establish the vision for a product or a group of products based on the value we can provide
- Challenge the status quo and inspire people toward a unified outcome
- Define goals and success with clearly measurable objectives and key results by partnering with other cross functional leaders in Trust, CS and Homes, while keeping it up to date and relevant
- Efficiently execute to ship products and deliver impact for our business and users
- Lead cross-functional groups to deliver on the team’s mission
- Communicate concisely and influence outcomes
- Develop the strategy for offline safety that combines data, user research, brand risk, and a structured framework for understanding and acting on risk signals.
- Drive product and technical requirements, strategy and end results for data collection, processing, publishing, pipelining, and NLP & ML Trust models within Airbnb
- Define and drive technical product scope and prioritization and be flexible to iterate/change per latest developments to meet agreed upon deadlines and business needs
- Maintain product backlog, drive product roadmap and own prioritization process of CS data product solutions based on business value and customer impact
- Demonstrate ability to translate business requirements and work with various levels of business stakeholders to create innovative scalable solutions
- Evaluate new product opportunities (both buy and build solutions) and bring forward proposals and influence to expand product and business capabilities with data and intelligent automation at the forefront
- Leverage and instrument data-driven experimentation and measurement frameworks to track and report product success or lack of thereof
- Work closely with all business, ops, and product stakeholders to ensure successful end-to-end delivery of data and ML products
- Create data strategies and programs for the long-term success of business teams and ensure engineering teams are positioned to deliver results
- Present overall product roadmap status to the business and Trust leadership on an ongoing basis
- Closely coordinate cross-functional global operations, Policy, product, and shared services (content, workflow, training) teams to ensure close alignment, clear dependencies, and streamlined execution.
- 4+ years experience in Product, Technical Program or Project Management, or similar role leading a cross-functional technical team
- 2+ years of technical product management
- BA/BS degree is required. Concentration in Computer Science or a related technical discipline is preferred
- Prior PM or engineering experience in the Trust/Safety/Fraud/Risk space preferred but not required.
- Prior PM or engineering experience working with operations teams and building ML/NLP driven features to drive business impact
- Deep understanding of software development for machine-learned products and services
- Exceptional collaboration, partnership and influencing skills with the ability to work in a global environment across multiple locations and time zones to drive consensus in cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to interface well with ops and business partners at all levels
- Outstanding written and verbal communication ability to a diverse stakeholder audience, including a global team of C-level executives, product, and technical stakeholders
- Strong customer engagement and relationship management skills
- More than comfortable in an ambiguous, matrixed organization
- Strategic platform and system thinker who can balance big picture strategy with detailed, flawless execution
- Creativity and ability to work independently with limited guidance with proven ability to create structures and develop operational concepts
- High tolerance for ambiguity and ability to perform under pressure to meet deadlines
- Experience developing roadmaps and long-term data-driven strategies for improving operations, data platform efficiencies - all without sacrificing quality
- Self-sufficient in analyzing and drawing conclusions about the quality and product opportunity from raw and refined product data
- Self-motivated and proactive, with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities
- Innate capability to, directly and indirectly, lead teams through success
- Strong technical project/product management experience in large scale systems, Linux/server operating systems, databases, cloud computing, big data, networking, and bonus points for past programming experience.