Senior Engineering Manager, Developer Platform
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
About the team - Infrastructure at Airbnb
The Infrastructure team at Airbnb provides a cohesive set of foundational technology offerings that enable Airbnb to easily deliver scalable, data-powered, and global products. We are looking for candidates who share a passion across some of the following area:
Make it extremely easy to build, test and deploy a new backend service, web service, iOS or Android app, ML models, and other developer tools. Engineers enjoy a world-class build, test, deploy experience irrespective of the language or platform, servicing developers to effectively build and ship great products.
We are looking to bring in a Senior Engineering Manager to help Airbnb create an industry-leading developer experience that scales to meet our executive team's ambitious product visions. The work to transform our developer experience is one of the most impactful at Airbnb and has visibility at the CTO-level. As part of the senior technical leadership team, you will identify, articulate, and lead various long-term tech visions, strategies, cross-cutting initiatives, architecture redesigns, and development paradigm shifts. As a technical leader on Infrastructure, you will have the opportunity to work with many engineering managers, senior staff, principal, and distinguished engineers across the company. You will have the mandate to tackle any aspect of improving the developer experience, with a focus on rethinking key aspects of the development environment and workflow from the ground up.
What does being an Engineering Manager at Airbnb look like:
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead an infrastructure team that is responsible for building and operating core cloud platforms that power Airbnb’s tech stack.
- Building strategy and technical roadmap for the team
- Recruiting and retaining strong talent
- Mentoring and career development of engineers
- Using data-driven decision making to identify and prioritize high-impact initiatives
- Evangelizing high quality software engineering practices
We value Engineering Managers who have:
- 10+ years of related engineering experience in high availability platforms and systems and 5+ years of hands-on technical management experience.
- Exceptional coding abilities and experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications.
- Shipped several large scale infrastructure projects with multiple dependencies across teams
- Excelled at building highly-functional, healthy, inclusive and collaborative teams.
- Effectively worked with senior leadership in setting strategic 6+ month direction. Been actively involved in setting infrastructure roadmaps and product strategy.
- Retained, mentored and hired senior engineers.
- Experience with creating alignment with multiple teams and operating well in ambiguity.
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering