Managing Director, Airbnb Payments UK
London, United Kingdom
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
The company is redefining the world's approach to accommodation and travel. We are creating highly local, personal and authentic experiences for our host and guest community around the world. Our marketplace connects millions of people a year and furthers our mission to create a world where anyone can belong anywhere.
To power the global Airbnb community, we are building a world-class payments platform - one that currently supports 220 countries, 63 currencies, connects dozens of payment providers and banks, and processes billions of dollars per year for all of Airbnb’s business units. As the platform grows, we’ll be adding new payment partners, establishing licensed payments companies around the world, and building innovative payment experiences and financial products for our guests and hosts. Our goal? To create a future where transparent, simple, and familiar payment solutions can empower people, entrepreneurs and communities on our global marketplace.
Airbnb Payments UK is a wholly owned subsidiary of Airbnb which acts as our licence holder for the financial payments licences that are issued by UK regulatory authorities.
We’re looking for a Managing Director to lead and shape our Payments strategy and execution for Airbnb Payments UK. Reporting directly to Airbnb’s Global Head of Payments, the Managing Director will be responsible for overseeing day to day operations of a regulated electronic money institution. The Managing Director will also sit on the board of directors, and be responsible for ensuring all regulatory obligations are executed.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned payments and regulatory leader with a track record of experience in regulated e-money or payments institutions in the UK or Europe; passionate about payments, financial products, and e-commerce with a proven track record of successfully building world-class cross-functional organizations during periods of rapid growth. As Airbnb continues to grow and expand, the ideal candidate will also have the potential to expand their responsibilities and impact.
- Lead every aspect of payments in the UK and manage payments operations that support payments in the UK and a significant amount of rest-of-world transactions
- Ensure our regulatory requirements are met at all times
- Participate in the evolution of growing and scaling Airbnbs Payments to serve our global markets
- Support the development and scale of a world-class payments platform to support growth and profitability for Airbnb
- Support global strategy development and regional performance for Payments, ensuring alignment to broader Airbnb goals and vision
- Serve as a region-wide payments and regulatory subject matter expert and advocate for Payments
- Anticipate potential issues and challenges in order to proactively plan for and execute effective solutions
- Lead and/or manage a cross-functional team of local payments professionals who are passionate about delivering a seamless and inclusive payments experience for guests and hosts
- Build strong relationships with, and align cross-functional stakeholders across, Payments, Finance, Treasury, and other areas in relation to region-led payments initiatives to build consensus and drive decision making at the payments leadership level
- Foster a culture that promotes innovation, empowers individuals, values teamwork and collaboration, and delivers with quality and efficiency
- Collaborate closely with the global Payments team to execute complex Payments-led initiatives
- Demonstrates passion and strong sense of urgency for reaching ambitious targets
- Must be able to effectively balance and execute on many complex initiatives in parallel
- Must be able to deliver on plan and on target, and problem solve effectively when plans go off track
- 12+ years of business leadership experience including 8+ years in the payments domain and 3+ years in a high-growth technology company
- Experience managing a P&L (business unit, product, or program) at a high-growth organization
- Demonstrated experience managing payments regulator relationships and working with regulatory agencies through periodic license reviews, license expansion and associated work.
- Familiarity with and experience managing regulatory obligations related to payments including PSD2, 4MLD, GDPR, card network rules, and other relevant requirements
- Track record demonstrating strategic thinking, innovation, collaboration, customer focus, and the ability to deliver and drive results
- Proven success working with cross-functional teams distributed in multiple geographic locations
- Strong track record of developing and mentoring talent to create high performing teams
- Deep knowledge of financial products, payment instruments and payment processing systems worldwide
- Executive leadership presence and experience influencing senior level leadership internally and externally
- Experience resolving conflicts/escalations and negotiations via win/win solutions
- The selected candidate must go through an EMD approval process with the FCA for this position. Continued employment is conditional to this approval.
- International or cross border payment experience
- Experience working in a platform organization which enables and advises business partners
- Payments consulting, marketplace, or e-commerce payments experience
- MBA or other advanced degree