Senior Litigation Counsel, Brazil
São Paulo, Brazil
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb is seeking an exceptional, qualified, attorney to be in house counsel in our Sao Paulo based office. Reporting to the Head Counsel Brazil, you will be responsible for advising Airbnb’s innovative business for Brazil. You must have excellent judgment in balancing legal risks with business strategy and a proven ability to quickly ramp, learn new areas of law, and independently function in a demanding fast-paced environment. We’re looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative person who can handle ambiguity, fast-pace, and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility, patience and poise.
- Determine litigation strategy in consumer and civil litigation and other complex contentious matters in collaboration with in-house and outside counsel.
- Advise Airbnb's senior leaders on litigation strategy and risk management.
- Manage litigation with outside counsel, review work product of outside counsel and modify it, as needed.
- Effectively collaborate with international colleagues, whether in LATAM or in the US, to provide globally aligned legal advice that appropriately balances domestic and global perspectives and needs.
- Help design, implement and iterate legal department and compliance processes to keep up with hyper-growth, with a particular view towards addressing local concerns.
- Qualification to practice law in Brazil.
- At least 10 years’ post-qualification experience.
- Fluency (reading/writing/speaking) in English is essential. Spanish is a plus.
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in navigating highly ambiguous environments.
- Proven direct and relevant experience in Brazil on litigation on civil and regulatory matters, as well as consumer litigation.
- Exceptional ability to consistently deliver creative, thoughtful and business-oriented results that appropriately balance growth and risk in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
- Some international travel required when it is feasible.
- Driven, high integrity, self-starting, adaptable, excellent judgment and love for adventure and fun.
- Proven track record of quickly learning completely new areas of law and advising on them competently.
- Highly collaborative person who supports their colleagues and wants to win as a team, and by putting the company’s best interests first.
- Strong academic credentials.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Top performer with high integrity and a proven ability to function independently while exercising good judgment on when to seek guidance/calibrate with management on risk tolerance.