Associate Principal Finance Technology, AirCover
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
About Finance Technology
The Finance Technology group manages a complex and innovative ecosystem of products and applications, and is responsible for driving key outcomes for all stakeholders who rely on Airbnb's Financial Information. Some of these include a) ensuring taxes are charged, collected, remitted and reported correctly b) manage all things cash (reconciliation, hedging, treasury), c) ensure every transaction is accounted correctly and ready for audit and investor reporting, d) provide critical data and metrics, e) provide top-to-bottom insurance protection for guests and hosts, and f) provide critical enterprise applications to employees (e.g, ERP, Equity). Everything we do is exemplified due to the scale - hundreds of currencies, thousands of tax authorities, millions of users, and billions of dollars (and transaction volume). Our approach is to build platform solutions to help the company grow by bringing new markets and demographics, be compliant, optimize costs and enable new business initiatives to thrive
About Finance Data Analytics & Aircover
Data can transform how a company operates; high data quality and tooling is the biggest lever to achieving that transformation. The Finance Data Analytics team manages analytics, metrics, and reporting and delivers insights and drives business decisions and finance operations . The Associate Principal, AirCover will be responsible for building metrics, data models, and impactful data analysis, dashboards, and reports to support the Insurance Solutions group and the AirCover product, which provides top-to-bottom protection for hosts through various programs that include a $1M Host Damage Protection program and Airbnb’s $1M liability insurance program.
This role will build the data foundation for reporting, analysis, experimentation, and machine learning at Airbnb. We are looking for someone with expertise in metric development, data modeling, SQL, Python, and large scale distributed data processing frameworks like Presto or Spark. Using these tools, you will transform data from data warehouse tables into valuable data artifacts that power impactful analytic use cases (e.g. metrics, dashboards). You will sit at the intersection of data science and data engineering, and work collaboratively to achieve highly impactful outcomes. Data can transform how a company operates; high data quality and tooling is the biggest lever to achieving that transformation.
The role will have broad exposure to various functions at Airbnb, including Insurance Solutions, Insurance Platform Engineering, Finance Engineering, and various Data Engineering teams. This position reports to the Principal, Insurance Data Analytics
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Understand data needs by interfacing with fellow Analytics Engineers, Data Scientists, Data Engineers, and business partners
- Architect, build, and launch efficient & reliable new data models and pipelines in partnership with Data Engineering
- Design, define, and implement metrics and dimensions to enable analysis and predictive modeling
- Design and build data visualization, dashboards to monitor the performance of Aircover program.
- Support the monthly and quarterly reporting and close process
- Collaborating with the finance stakeholders on data research to drive product and business decisions
- Become a data expert in the Insurance business domain and Aircover product; held accountable for data quality in your business domain.
- Build tools for auditing, error logging, and validating data tables
- Build and improve data tooling in partnership with internal Data Platform teams
- Define logging needs in partnership with Data Engineering
- Passion for high data quality and scaling data science work
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience
- Strong skills in SQL and distributed system optimization (e.g. Spark, Presto, Hadoop, Hive)
- Expert in at least one programming language for data analysis (e.g. Python, R)
- Experience in schema design and dimensional data modeling
- Experience in data visualization and business intelligence tools (e.g., Tableau)
- Ability to perform basic statistical analysis to inform business decisions
- Proven ability to succeed in both collaborative and independent work environments
- Detail oriented and excited to learn new skills and tools
- Experience with an ETL framework like Airflow
- Python, Scala, Superset, and Tableau skills preferred
- An eye for design when it comes to dashboards and visualization tools
- Familiarity with experimentation and machine learning techniques
- Experience with analytical storytelling, using data to support business and product decisions
The starting base pay for this role is between $118,000 and $150,500. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.