Staff Technical Program Manager, Insurance Platform
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add a technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Staff Technical Program Manager (TPM) to the Insurance Platform team.
In this role, you will work on various complex projects/ programs that touch multiple services, functions, and teams. Hence, you are required to keep the big picture in focus while diving into the details, working through unique challenges we face daily. It is a highly leveraged role that aims to improve the quality and velocity of work across cross-functional teams by acting as a “force multiplier.”
The Staff TPM role includes managing project schedules, identifying risks, discussing the technical trade-offs with engineers, and maintaining clear communications across multiple stakeholder groups across the organization. In addition, you will make work repeatable by creating and improving processes where applicable.
In short, you will get things done by bringing clarity out of chaos, diving into the details, and communicating clearly and promptly. In addition, you are good at building relationships, motivating others with vision, and persuading with data.
About Insurance Platform at Airbnb
The Insurance Platform team serves as a platform and center of excellence addressing the protection needs of our Airbnb community. We help our host and guest communities manage risk with one-of-a-kind protection programs unmatched in the travel industry. Our vision is to create a safe and protected community through protection products and solutions.
- Develop program structure and objectives, drive collaboration and alignment with all relevant stakeholders to ensure technical feasibility, and effectively drive end-to-end projects.
- Drive accountability and ownership in a fast-paced environment.
- Ensure strong collaboration within multiple parts of the organization and highlight competing priorities.
- Active role in aligning on staffing, priorities, and technical dependencies within Insurance and cross-functional teams in terms of quarterly planning and managing ongoing risk escalation/ mitigation, which could impact the success of the programs.
- To ensure accountability and timeline management, manage effective communications to leadership and across teams on critical decisions, status, and risks.
- Understand best practices, drive for process improvements, and find new operating ways, focusing on simplification and productivity.
- Provide visibility into key performance indicators, so leaders know risks and opportunities.
- Work closely with engineering leadership to define goals, strategy, and plan roadmap to steer engineering teams to achieve excellence in performance and cost optimizations.
- Manage a broad set of stakeholders, ongoing communication of the right content to the appropriate audience (technical and non-technical).
- Provide visibility into performance and cost indicators, so leaders know risks and opportunities.
- Increase team productivity by identifying and removing obstacles and keeping processes lean.
- BA/BS degree, 5-7 years of experience as a TPM, with 7-10 years of industry experience.
- Familiar with backend service development and service-oriented architecture. Understanding end-to-end service interaction and its impact on application performance.
- Detail-oriented and able to understand the bigger picture by using your technical expertise and problem-solving abilities to prioritize and manage blocking issues.
- Demonstrate the ability to learn new technologies quickly with minimal lag time.
- Experience working in a highly cross-functional environment where communication with multiple groups is imperative.
- Demonstrate ability to work through ambiguity to detailed solutions. You can take a vague problem, crisply frame the challenge, identify a path forward, and drive an initiative over the finish line.
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral business communication and people skills, with the ability to influence stakeholders.
- Exhibit knowledge of Jira or other equivalent task management tooling.
- Prior experience in digital payments, insurance, and regulated products in tech, is a plus.
The starting base pay for this role is between $180,000 and $230,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.