Product Manager, Trust & Safety
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
About Trust & Safety Team
Our hosts are opening their homes or providing experiences to guests from around the world. We’re creating new relationships & placing people in vulnerable situations. Therefore trust is the fundamental currency of Airbnb. We are the Trust & Safety team, composed of engineers, data scientists, designers, product managers, and operations, responsible for earning this trust by building for safety at each moment of the guest and host journey. We build cutting edge machine learning models to detect risk, defenses to deter risky actors, and operations tools that enable investigators worldwide. We define community standards and policies, set high expectations, keep bad actors out while providing delightful experiences for good users.
About The Role
As a Product Manager in the Trust & Safety team, you will identify customer pain points, business opportunities, and define/deliver the products that help us create a safe and trusted community around the world. Your work will be pivotal to shaping the future of hospitality and travel. Trust & Safety is a very broad field, and you will have the opportunity to deliver impact on cross-functional company-wide initiatives. Within the Trust & Safety team, we have organized around below focus areas and functional platforms, and you will be working in one of these.
- Focus areas: 1) Account Integrity (to reduce account takeover, bots, fake accounts etc), 2) Content Integrity (to reduce fake reviews, inauthentic, inappropriate content etc), 3) Platform Integrity (to reduce spamming, phishing, collusion etc), 4) Safety (to reduce parties, property damage, illegal activities etc), 5) Crisis Management (during pandemics, natural disasters, wars etc), 5) Identity & Background Verification, and 6) Privacy & Anti-Discimination.
- Functional platforms: 1) Operations Platform (to support worldwide agents, investigation queues, etc), 2) Policy & Enforcement Platform (for risk mitigation, rules management, etc), and 3) Machine Learning Platform (to provide signals & intelligence, new ML tech, etc)
- Creating vision and strategy for Trust & Safety products and platforms.
- Leading cross-functional working group of engineers, data scientists, designers, operations experts, and policy experts to ensure alignment, execution, and launches
- Maintaining product backlog and the product roadmap. Own prioritization process of product solutions based on business value and customer impact
- Defining goals and success with clearly measurable objectives and key results.
- Building alignment across product teams (inside and outside of Trust & Safety), and Leadership/Executive teams.
- Anticipating bottlenecks, making tradeoffs and balancing the business needs, customer needs, versus technical or operational constraints.
- Presenting product roadmap and status to the business and Airbnb leadership on an ongoing basis. Communicate concisely and influence outcomes.
- Evaluating new product opportunities and bring forward proposals (buy, build, partner solutions) for new capabilities with data and users at the forefront
- Developing short term plans aligned with long term goals to iteratively build platform capabilities to defend against fraud, abuse, safety, unwanted bad activities, etc.
- Becoming the thought leader and entrepreneur that others within Airbnb look upto for knowledge, processes, and methods on building products and platforms
- 8+ years product management experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- Experienced in design, and hypothesis driven product development
- Entrepreneurial drive to achieve stretch goals in an innovative fast-paced environment
- Prior product, operation, or engineering experience in Security, Trust, Safety, or Fraud
- 2+ years of building machine learning products or technical product management
- Experience leading teams through ambiguity, and high stakes trade off decisions
The starting base pay for this role is between $180,000 and $230,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.