Engineering Manager, Compute Foundation
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community you will join:
The Compute Foundation team within Airbnb’s Cloud Infrastructure org owns infrastructure systems that all other teams at Airbnb build upon. With users around the world, reliability, scalability, efficiency and high availability are our team’s core concerns.
As the Compute Foundation engineering manager, you’ll lead a team of talented, diverse software developers to operate and improve our core Kubernetes capability. This will include day-to-day operations, technical deep dives, community engagement, and strategic planning. You will work closely with your peers across Cloud Infra, on the service mesh, cloud provisioning and traffic teams.
Airbnb Cloud Infrastructure in the Media:
- 10 Weird Ways to Blow Up Your Kubernetes
- Developing Kubernetes Services at Airbnb Scale
- Did Kubernetes Make My p95s Worse?
- Scaling Kubernetes to Thousands of Nodes Across Multiple Clusters, Calmly
- 10 More Weird Ways to Blow Up Your Kubernetes
- Airbnb Service Discovery: Past, Present, Future (Challenges of Change)
The difference you will make:
Our engineering managers are responsible for creating the vision and then delivering an Airbnb compute platform that is flexible, always available, efficient, and scales with the needs of the business. Each manager brings their own unique skill set, experiences, thought leadership and technical expertise to solve these technical challenges for Airbnb.
A typical day:
- Lead the organizational and technical direction of our current and future Kubernetes infrastructure.
- Build a robust team by attracting top talent, mentoring individuals and managing conflict.
- Nurture a culture of technical quality from design, through code review, to production.
- Collaborate with internal teams across infrastructure to gain agreement by developing and communicating a clear and impactful vision and priorities for the team.
- Carefully plan, track, and report on work of the team, identifying problems early.
- 3+ years of engineering management experience, with 8+ years of relevant software development industry experience in a fast paced tech environment.
- Expertise with a public cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure) and their infrastructure as a service offerings (e.g., EC2, S3, VPC, etc.).
- Experience running large scale container orchestration systems (e.g. Kubernetes, Borg, Tupperware, Mesos) or high performance computing.
- You have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and with teams across the engineering organization (e.g. reliability engineering, network engineering, etc.).
- You are a strong problem solver and have led a team that is on-call for production infrastructure before.
- You are passionate about efficiency, availability, technical quality and system quality.
How we'll take care of you:
The starting base pay for this role is between $190,000 and $245,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Airbnb,Inc. can employ in states where we have registered entities. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware and Rhode Island. This list is continuously evolving and being updated, please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our commitment to inclusion & belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at: email@example.com.