Staff Technical Program Manager, AirFam Products
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb is seeking an experienced Staff Technical Program Manager to run programs for internal products and drive best in class collaboration experiences for internal Airbnb stakeholders. You’ll support the Business Technology (BizTech) Products leadership team and work deeply with an internal tooling team (AirFam Products) which builds custom tools for the AirFam.
Because our products are highly visible to all employees and serve many stakeholders, you’ll have the opportunity to engage with and influence senior leaders across the company. We take pride in creating software solutions that fit with our culture and ways of working in order to make employees more productive in their jobs and feel more connected to one another.
TPMs at Airbnb work on a variety of complex projects/ programs that touch multiple services, functions and teams, and hence are required to keep the big picture in focus while being able to dive into the details, working through unique challenges we face daily. They're good at building relationships, motivating others with vision, and persuading with data. It is a highly leveraged role that aims to improve the quality and velocity of work across cross-functional teams by acting as a “force multiplier”. This includes managing project schedules, identifying risks, discussing the technical trade-offs with engineers, and maintaining clear communications across multiple stakeholder groups across the organization. In short, they get things done by bringing clarity out of chaos, diving into the details, and communicating clearly and in a timely manner.
- Drive Intranet Program work-streams across multiple BizTech teams partnering with stakeholders in the business and the product manager.
- Develop program scope and objectives, collaborate with all relevant stakeholders, ensure technical feasibility and drive projects end-to-end.
- Align on staffing, priorities and technical dependencies both in terms of quarterly planning, and managing ongoing risk escalation/mitigation.
- Manage Technical Design diligence process for large programs, track technical dependencies, scheduling reviews and pre-reviews, engaging the right stakeholders across teams, and managing meeting quality and efficiency.
- Manage effective communications to leadership and across teams on key decisions, status, and risks to ensure accountability and timeline management.
- Understand best practices, drive for process improvements, and find new ways of operating, with a focus on simplification and productivity.
- Lead agile process and team adoption: prioritizing, scoping, planning, and sprint management.
- Drive org-wide and company-wide technical initiatives.
- Provide visibility into key performance indicators so leaders are aware of risks and opportunities.
- Experience developing processes where few exist, and demonstrated flexibility to get things done.
- Demonstrated ability to work through ambiguity to detailed solutions. You can take a vague problem, crisply frame the challenge, identify a path forward, and drive an initiative over the finish-line.
- Good understanding of software engineers principles & proven ability to work in a distributed architecture environment.
- Self-motivated, proactive and proven ability to adapt well and work with teams having different operating cadences.
- Detail-oriented and able to understand the bigger picture by using your technical expertise and problem solving abilities to prioritize and manage blocking issues.
- Experience working in a highly cross-functional environment where communication with multiple groups is imperative.
- Ability to ramp up quickly and learn new technologies with minimal lag time.
- Excellent written and oral business communication and people skills, with the ability to influence stakeholders.
- Exhibit knowledge of Jira or other equivalent task management tooling.
- BA/BS degree, 10 years technical project management experience or relevant experience.
The starting base pay for this role is between $180,000 and $230,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.