Design Manager, Airbnb.Org
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community you will join:
In December 2020, Airbnb launched Airbnb.org, a new non-profit organization and distinct brand system that builds on a long history of connecting people in times of crisis to safe, comfortable places to stay. This work began at Airbnb in 2012, when a Host named Shell reached out wanting to offer her home for free to those impacted by Hurricane Sandy in New York City. Since then, Airbnb—and now Airbnb.org—has partnered with Hosts, nonprofit organizations, emergency management agencies and governments to provide stays to people around the world in times of crisis. Today, building upon 8 years of learnings and experience providing temporary housing to 75,000 refugees, asylum seekers and people displaced by disaster or other crises across 104 countries, Airbnb.org has a charitable purpose and is not expected to drive Airbnb revenue or growth.
At Airbnb.org we seek to create connection and belonging as individuals confront crises. In order to do that, we must acknowledge and work against inherent power structures and historical oppressions that have created and perpetuated systemic barriers faced by those we intend to serve. We have announced a series of commitments to diversity, equity and inclusion.
The difference you will make:
This job encompasses two critical roles for Airbnb.org.
Manager of UX functions -- As the functional lead across all of our UX functions, you will oversee the experience design, UX writing and experience research functions for Airbnb.org. You would be responsible for setting a high bar for these teams and supporting them to deliver it. You’d build a great team and keep them motivated, productive, and constantly growing.
Airbnb.org leader -- As a member of Airbnb.org’s leadership team, you will work side by side with senior leaders of other disciplines to oversee our business unit’s strategy, execution, and team health. You will need to provide strategic insight beyond your disciplines, champion how UX can weave into a larger strategy to achieve our goals, and work collaboratively to ensure the best outcomes for Airbnb.org as a whole.
A typical day:
Primary: UX team management
- Manage 2 people managers and 4 individual contributors across UX functions (experience design, UX research, and UX writing), encouraging high performance while motivating them and developing their careers. Opportunities to hire and rethink the org design of this team.
- Help shape and uphold the design culture, language, and practice of Airbnb.org.
- Hold the bar high on the quality and performance of each UX function to advance our team mission, with an eye toward marginalized communities.
Primary: Member of Leadership team
- As a member of Airbnb.org leadership, represent UX considerations in broader team strategy and operations and contribute to decisions on behalf of the full team, including advocating for investments in UX quality
- Build strong relationships with leaders on Airbnb.org and across Airbnb Inc.
- 10+ years of industry experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Extensive UX, UI, IA experience.
- Hands-on creative. Exceptional designer.
- Experience leading teams and managing and developing people.
- Experience launching software at scale. Good instinct for planning and prioritization of time and effort
- Broad spectrum skillset across interaction design, UX research, UX writing
- Broad technical understanding and ability to identify and leverage trends.
- Comfortable in an ambiguous work environment.
- Belief in Airbnb’s mission to make a world where anyone can belong anywhere and our responsibility to extend that mission to marginalized communities
- Sharp and critical eye for expert execution within the team, patient and optimistic approach to our community and partners
- Preferred but not required: Experience in non-profit sector or humanitarian work
How we'll take care of you:
The starting base pay for this role is between $180,000 and $225,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
Our commitment to inclusion & belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.