Engineering Manager, Trust
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Airbnb,Inc. can employ in states where we have registered entities. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware and Rhode Island. This list is continuously evolving and being updated, please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Everyone at Airbnb thinks about trust, but our team obsesses over it daily. At the core of trust is safety, and thus we spend a significant amount of our time and energy keeping the community safe. The Trust team is responsible for protecting our community and platform from fraud while also ensuring our hosts, guests, homes, and experiences meet our high standards. We constantly work to fight against online fraud (such as monetary loss, compromised accounts, spam and scam in messages, fake inventory, etc.) as well as offline fraud (theft, property damage, personal safety, etc.). We also work on onboarding and screening of users, and think about complex topics like identity and reputation to ensure that every interaction with Airbnb helps build trust in us and our community. Trust Engineering is responsible for the technology vision and development of a complex stack that runs on every key interaction on the platform.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager within the Fraud and Abuse prevention organization, responsible for helping prevent the misuse of our platform, and the prevention of online fraud. This organization operates in 3 domains, working on some of the most core parts of Airbnb and Trust — Account Integrity, Content Integrity, and Financial Fraud.
The initiatives you will lead include detecting and mitigating fake inventory on Airbnb, verifying the locations of Airbnb listings, preventing bad actors from taking conversations/transactions off-platform, detecting and removing fake reviews, and phishing scams, and building out a world class financial fraud prevention platform. You’ll do this all while focussing on building high quality software that is reliable, performant, and maintainable.
- Build and maintain machine learning models and services to detect and prevent fraudulent activity.
- Work closely with other trust defense and platform teams to tackle the changing landscape of fraud attacks.
- Recruit and retain strong talent
- Work cross-functionally with design, product, data science, and other stakeholders to balance strategic, large-scale initiatives with incremental gains.
- Collaborate closely with cross functional partners across Trust, Payments, and Support Products to ensure that all fraud trends and compliance requirements are addressed.
- Tight collaboration with Data Science partners to deliver key insights and dashboards for decision making.
- 8+ years of relevant software development industry experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment.
- 2+ years of hands-on technical management experience
- Experience with backend technologies, such as Java. Familiarity with Scala is a plus.
- Experience with machine learning models is a plus.
- Experience with the Trust and Risk domain is a plus.
- Retained, mentored and hired senior engineers and leaders with a track record of building productive, world-class engineering teams.
- Effectively worked with senior leadership in setting strategic 6+ month direction.
- Experience with effectively creating alignments with multiple teams and operating well in ambiguity
- Track record in partnering with recruiting to build incredible engineering teams
- Actively coached and mentored team members in their careers
- Been actively involved in setting product strategy
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Shipped several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
The starting base pay for this role is between $190,000 and $245,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
Belonging & Accommodations
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.