Staff Technical Program Manager, Self-Serve Analytics Platform (SSAP)
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
As a Staff Technical Program Manager for the Self-Serve Analytics Platform (SSAP) team, you will use your technical and program management skills to drive strategic initiatives through unified roadmap collaboration, seamless coordination of day-to-day operations, strong cross-functional technical partner alignment, and clear communication channels for self-serve analytics stakeholders and the wider data community. You oversee planning, roadmaps, resource utilization, project statuses, cross-project dependencies, communications, and documentation in partnership with the engineering leaders of the Self-Serve Analytics Platform.
The ideal candidate will have a sharp mind for solving problems in a pragmatic way. You have a strong talent for aligning goals across cross-functional teams by bringing structure, teamwork, and critical thinking. With a strong appreciation for program management principles, you assess organizational priorities, work through trade-offs, manage scope, and make decisions to keep the SSAP team and wider data organization focused. You have demonstrated strong performance in your prior roles; you thrive in ambiguity and demonstrate problem-solving leadership with limited oversight.
- Partner with the Sr. Manager of BI Strategy to establish the goals, roadmap, resource planning, and execution model of the SSAP program.
- Establish and manage SSAP team operating rhythm, including communication structures, project templates, meeting cadence and review forums.
- Responsible for identifying technical dependencies, inform technical design discussions, aligning with stakeholders on how to manage dependencies and make appropriate trade-offs.
- Scope, define, and manage program delivery: define actionable plans, resourcing, communication plans, cross-team technical dependencies, project milestones, success criteria, and technical risks.
- Ensure the right stakeholders and cross-functional team members are involved, alignment is quickly achieved, decisions and actions items are documented, and follow up with owners on commitments.
- Identify and predict obstacles, collisions, competing priorities, and risks to projects across multiple teams, seek solutions to eliminate them, and escalate as needed to leadership.
- Serve as the go-to liaison with cross-functional partners, stakeholders, and leaders for milestone statuses and deliveries while soliciting and assessing feedback.
- Daily program management and project management as needed throughout the lifecycle of strategic deliverables.
- Manage request intake, scope change management, and prioritization processes.
- Manage and communicate the program roadmap and the expectations of stakeholders’ and cross-functional partners using appropriate tools for timely and accurate information.
- Managing the program management documentation & deliverables such as the program charters, timelines, RACI charts, requirements documents, and communication plans
- Minimum 8 years experience managing moderate to large sized technical projects/programs from initiation to launch within complex operating environments.
- Strong project management skills and experience that have grown into an integrated ability to manage a program portfolio of deliverables.
- Demonstrated ability to project scope, define goals, create deliverables, and identify dependencies across multiple projects and teams.
- Provide a data & impact-driven approach to program management utilizing data and project management tools to understand and validate health of and delivery of value of strategic initiatives.
- Outstanding working knowledge of project/program management principles and techniques and ability to adapt and to apply them as needed to drive program impact.
- Ability to deep-dive as needed at the project management level - facilitating scrums, sprint planning, retrospectives, and post-mortems.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to oversee independently multiple technical projects with limited oversight with a strong sense of accountability and ownership.
- Experience presenting/facilitating live meetings and offline communications with both technical and non-technical stakeholders (including leadership)
- Excellent ability to work cross-functionally, build productive relationships, and influence technical and non-technical teams and leadership while treating all individuals with fairness and respect, demonstrating sensitivity for cultural and gender differences and showing great drive and commitment to the organization’s mission
- Strong Communication - Ability to get consensus and collaboration across many business units; ability to explain complex concepts in layman's language; ability to generate enthusiasm; ability to communicate with all levels of management and staff.
- Previous experience establishing program management processes with data engineering, data product, data science, and/or business intelligence teams.
- Prior experience with analytical / BI products such as Tableau, Looker, or Superset.
- Knowledge of SQL and/or Python for analytics
- Strong knowledge in program/portfolio management tools and advanced tool features (eg. Atlassian Jira, JQL filters, structure boards, etc.)
- Ideally certified in 1 or more program & project management methodologies such as, Scrum (CSM), SAFe (SPC, SA), PMI-PMP, SAPM, etc.
The starting base pay for this role is between $180,000 and $230,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.