Software Engineer, Technology Platform: Payments
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
We use technology to create human connection all around the world. Our engineering teams see big challenges as opportunities to craft beautiful and scalable solutions that inspire technical innovation both in our company and across the tech and travel industries as a whole.
New grads are hired as generalist engineers. Generalist engineers at Airbnb operate at all levels, including core services, data pipelines, essential business systems, and customer-facing features.
What are examples of work that New Grad Software Engineers have done at Airbnb?
- We re-built the List Your Space flow. We A/B tested every change carefully and within three months, doubled the conversion rate.
- We created Neighborhoods, a product that answers the question of which parts of a city have desirable Airbnb listings for you. We built systems that allowed writers, translators, and photographers all over the world to collaborate on bringing cities to life. Read more.
- We’ve created APIs for our partners to give appraisals based on Airbnb pricing data and lets users authorize the partner to access their Airbnb account
The following experience is relevant to us:
- BS and/or MS degree in computer science, math or a related technical field
- Experience using Python, Java, Scala, Ruby and/or Ruby on Rails
- Experience using C++, and SQL for the backend (project dependent)
What is Payments Infrastructure at Airbnb?
Payments at Airbnb allows any two people in the world to frictionlessly exchange money with easy to use payments services. It is a core strategy to fulfill Airbnb’s belongs anywhere mission. We are building a world-class payments platform that moves billions of dollars, in 191 countries, with 75 currencies, through a complex ecosystem of payments partners. We build and maintain our own in-house global payments platform because no solution exists with the global reach needed. As the platform grows we’ll be adding new payment partners, global licenses, compliance and regulation controls, and building new payment experiences for our guests and hosts.
Payments Infrastructure team’s mission is to provide both great developer infrastructure to payments engineers and great production infrastructure to payments services. Our mission is to enable Payments engineers deliver high-quality software efficiently and ensure the reliability, scalability and performance of payments services. The team builds frameworks, tools, processes to support unique infrastructure needs of Payments. A few examples include:
- A database migration framework that can support massive, in parallel online and offline data migration from source databases to destination databases that may have different DB schema and even different DB engines.
- An end to end money movement monitoring system that can monitor, detect, alert and even mitigate possible issues (e.g. a stuck payout) happening in any integrated payment flows.
- Deep analysis of all the AWS Infras used by Payments and come up with plans on their best utilization for the purpose of engineering excellence and cost saving.
- Creating tools, standards and processes to improve the high availability and performance of Payments services and flows in the production and non-production environments.
- Enabling solutions of scaling out/up, global replication and evolution of Payments storage systems for the purpose of Payments multi-region, disaster recovery, business continuity or to meet the regional payments regulation requirements.
- The ability to decompose large-scale distributed systems and figure out failure scenarios and debug them in an efficient manner.
- You are passionate about efficiency, availability, quality and scalability.
- You have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and across engineering teams.
- Hands-on experience and expertise in working with distributed storage / database systems (MySQL, TiDB/CockroachDB, HBase, Cassandra, Redis, etc) is preferred.
- Knowledge of public cloud platforms (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc) is preferred.
- Knowledge of Payments and Commerce is preferred.
Our job titles may span more than one career or degree level. Our new grad range for this role is $110,000 and $120,000. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits and Employee Travel Credits.