Lead Experience Designer, Accessibility
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
As an Experience Designer on Accessibility, you will be responsible for defining and scaling our inclusive design initiatives with a focus on digital accessibility. You'll collaborate with other designers, UX writers, and other cross-functional partners to elevate Airbnb's product quality and empower design teams to deliver innovative and accessible solutions.
A Typical Day:
- Empower design teams to build more inclusive end-to-end user experiences and "shift left" beyond compliance to start proactively designing for inclusion.
- Collaborate and ideate more inclusive solutions and innovations for accessibility
- Collaborate with Research to successfully incorporate findings from inclusive user testing and/or usability studies into UI/UX patterns, bug reports, and product launches
- Review designs, mockups, and prototypes throughout the product development cycle to increase quality and compliance
- Define and deliver scalable frameworks for other designers to leverage, such as accessibility specs and annotations
- Contribute accessible UI components, patterns, and documentation for Airbnb's industry-leading Design Language System
- Translate industry standards, like Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), into understandable and approachable deliverables to uplevel designers and writers
- Close knowledge gaps and increase technical expertise within Design by facilitating workshops, inclusive design trainings, and weekly office hours to remove UX barriers that disable digital access and belonging
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering to resolve and fix accessibility bugs based on the severity of impact on a diversity of users and assistive technologies. Partner with Design Program Management to drive design for accessibility-related projects and inclusive UX patterns across the business
- 8+ years of professional experience in user experience and digital design
- Experience in the inclusive design or accessibility space, or with design language systems
- Proficiency designing across multiple platforms (iOS, Android, Desktop, Mobile Web)
- Understanding of how different assistive technologies (like screen readers or speech recognition software) behave, and how users of assistive technology may be impacted by different design choices
- Effective communication skills and an ability to translate technical accessibility guidelines into persuasive practices people will embrace
- Demonstrated ability to deal with ambiguous environments, including adapting to new challenges, scenarios, and working styles
- Ability to understand, give feedback, and resolve product issues related to accessibility and willingness to utilize project management tools (e.g. Jira, Airtable)
How We'll Take Care of You:
The starting base pay for this role is between $152,000 and $207,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Airbnb,Inc. can employ in states where we have registered entities. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware and Rhode Island. This list is continuously evolving and being updated, please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment to Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.