Senior Counsel, Ireland
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb is seeking a business-oriented Senior Counsel to join our growing legal team. Based in Ireland, you will play a critical role within our European legal team, and work across multiple global teams and regions providing support and advice to Airbnb’s business, customer service & product teams. You must have excellent judgment in balancing legal risks with business strategy and a proven ability to learn new areas of law and function independently in a demanding fast-paced environment. We’re looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative person who can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility, patience, and poise.
- Provide focused and pragmatic advice to a range of business teams including Customer Service, Trust and Law Enforcement teams. Areas on which you’ll advise will include applicable Irish and European laws including consumer laws, privacy laws and regulatory laws (including in relation to Short term rentals)
- Support our Community Policy team in policy development and review
- Support our Communication and Policy teams on matters relating to Ireland
- Support EMEA ABC compliance and training programme
- Provide focused and pragmatic advice on the implementation and impact of new laws to business and product teams.
- Support implementation and roll out of Regulatory and Consumer Law Compliance Projects
- Provide support for the Dublin based paralegal team
- Fluency in English is essential. Additional languages a significant advantage
- Qualified as a lawyer in at least one EU jurisdiction or the UK
- At least 7 years+ post-qualification experience, with experience in, in particular, litigation, consumer law, regulatory compliance
- Experience in advising online platforms on a range of areas is a distinct advantage, as would be experience working in-house
- A strong working knowledge of the Airbnb platform, evolving product lines, and competitive landscape.
- Experience working on ABC compliance is an advantage
The successful candidate should also have:
- Ability to understand technology-driven businesses, communicate concisely, and influence effectively across a wide range of stakeholders
- Exceptional ability to consistently deliver creative, thoughtful and business-oriented results that appropriately balance growth and risk in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to take on new areas and to roll up your sleeves to get the job done
- Intellectually curious, good attention to detail, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change and solving problems
- Ability to work collaboratively with global colleagues
- Ability to work both collaboratively and autonomously while prioritizing competing tasks in a fast-paced, challenging environment
- High level of integrity, professionalism, intellectual curiosity, sense of humor, and willingness to grow
- International travel will be required in due course