Engineering Manager, Data Security
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Data represents the voice of Airbnb’s users at scale. The team is responsible for the foundational big data infrastructure, which is used by hundreds of engineers to collect, manage, and analyze data at scale. Our data infra tech stack is hosted on AWS and primarily based on various open source technologies: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Flink, Trino, and Airflow. The team is also responsible for an internal data governance stack to enable the data authorization, authentication, data catalog management. We are hiring a senior manager who has relevant domain expertise with a success track record to manage multiple teams in this domain.
- Lead the domain of data warehouse security, governance and management by managing several teams directly.
- Drive large cross-team initiatives to enhance data security capabilities.
- Strengthen relationships and create clear communication plans with stakeholders across a larger organization.
- Build a diverse and belonging team with an effective operational model.
- Retain, mentor or grow managers or senior engineers
- Connect the dots with strategy and team composition to determine the right technical and people leaders to bring into Airbnb.
- Translate strategy and goals into a technical quality plan to execute across their teams.
What we are looking for
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in computer science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 12+ years of relevant work experience in infrastructure, including 5+ hands-on engineering management experience
- Hands-on experience with designing large scale distributed systems for high performance.
- Experience with modern batch & real-time data processing technologies
- Proven track record in building and leading incredible engineering teams
- Passionate about understanding data and its relevance to business decisions
- Ability to operate in a fast-moving environment supporting a rapidly growing business
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Demonstrated project management skills