Staff Software Engineer- Payment Economics
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community you will join:
Airbnb Payments team allows any two people in the world to frictionlessly exchange money with easy to use payments services. It is a core strategy to fulfill Airbnb’s belongs anywhere mission. We are building a world-class payments platform that moves billions of dollars, in 191 countries, with 75 currencies, through a complex ecosystem of payments partners. We build and maintain our own in-house global payments platform because no solution exists with the global reach needed. As the platform grows we’ll be adding new payment partners, global licenses, compliance and regulation controls, and building new payment experiences for our guests and hosts.Airbnb’s business grows rapidly over the years, so does Airbnb Payments’ processing volume.
The difference you will make:
On the other hand, payment processing fee represents one of the greatest business operational costs at the company, trending upwards as the business continues to scale. Airbnb Payments recently kicked off the big initiative Payments Economics, aiming to reduce the processing fee significantly, and in the meanwhile still provide customers with more flexibility in payment options. We are looking for a self-motivated engineer who is interested in working in a highly dynamic environment by collaborating with cross-functional and cross-site teams. As an engineer, you are in charge of coming up with creative solutions using skills including Service Oriented Architecture, real-time system, data processing pipelines, machine learning, graph algorithms, feature visualization, and payments technologies.
A typical day:
- Build backend services and APIs to create scalable engineering systems
- Work with data scientists, business analysts and operations to define, capture, and use real-time event data for business insights and product features
- Collaborate with infrastructure engineering teams to participate in, validate, and evolve how we build, test, and deploy code in a distributed Service-Oriented Architecture
- Alter existing and develop new data access and protection patterns to ensure our community’s personal data is safe and secure, at scale
- 12+ years of industry experience
- Backend or Full-Stack experience in a work-setting or classroom-setting.
- Work experience, open-source code, or coursework in any of the following languages: C/C++, Java, C#, Python/Django, Ruby/Ruby on Rails
- Evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Understanding of data structures and problem solving approaches, and ability to articulate trade offs
- Passion for creating highly effective technology platform for our growing global workforce
- Experience with Agile development
- Be future looking; we might be focused on immediate regulations, but need to build for the long term
- Comfortable with tackling ambiguous problems and unblocking yourself
- Focus on building high quality products; every one of our flows affects the business bottom line
- Data driven in how you solve problems and validate you've solved them correctly
- Have a strong desire to mentor the careers and development of other engineers
- Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills.
- BS in Computer Science / MIS or equivalent work-related experience
Our commitment to inclusion & belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.