Principal Engineer, Developer Platform Systems
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community you will join:
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. Our community of guests and hosts rely on Airbnb around the clock to provide the tools they need to find a safe place to stay and to facilitate unique experiences. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add senior technical contributors to solve our broad technical challenges and deep dive into our most critical infrastructure projects.
The difference you will make:
The Developer Platform team is responsible for the infrastructure powering full lifecycle (build, test, and deploy) for all developers at Airbnb. We also look after higher level APIs and tools, all aiming to improve developer experience and effectiveness. Our vision is to enable Airbnb developers to apply their energy and creativity towards building and operating useful, high-quality software, without having to deal with unnecessary complexities or delays.
A typical day:
As a very senior technical individual contributor, you will own and drive technical strategy, alignment, and execution for improving the backend developer experience at Airbnb, as well as help shape the overall strategy and success for the Developer Platform team overall. You will partner with leaders across Airbnb to ensure our offerings truly serve our customer needs and work to solve some of the broader technical challenges in backend developer experience. Additionally, you will lend expertise to specific teams and deep dive into projects as needed. Key responsibilities will include:
- Driving the continued development of a long term technical strategy for backend developer experience.
- Bringing technical expertise to decision making and architecture, as well as having a keen eye for constraints while building the best solution.
- Applying data-driven approach to measuring developer productivity and effectiveness, while also having an intense product-oriented focus on customer needs and success.
- Up-leveling and supporting others with servant leadership, mentorship, advocacy, and allyship.
- Working cross functionally to align technical initiatives and decisions
- 13+ years relevant industry experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment
- Exceptional abilities and experience building, leading, and operating large, high-scale systems and well-designed APIs.
- Experience setting technical direction, planning, and successfully executing on large projects spanning multiple teams.
- Proven impact on developer productivity and tooling (e.g. code review, CI/CD, build systems, version control, IDE, etc).
How we'll take care of you:
The starting base pay for this role is between $250,000 and $315,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. . This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application,, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.