Senior Manager, Public Policy, California
California, United States
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Airbnb's public policy campaign team exists to further the interests of our community of hosts and guests with politicians, regulators, opinion leaders and others who shape the political and legal context for our business, helping them to understand the significant social and economic contributions of our platform. Across the North America ("NAMER") region, US and Canada specifically, we are engaged in hundreds of local conversations and negotiations with governments big and small. We engage governments at local, state, provincial and national levels directly and also use innovative advocacy and partnership strategies that actively involve our community and our stakeholders in making the case for fair, progressive home sharing rules.
The Difference You Will Make:
We are looking for a Senior Public Policy Manager to support our campaigns in California. In this role, you will help to define policy goals and positions and implement them, working closely alongside other functional experts who support those goals through government relations, community engagement, partnerships and project management.
To do this role effectively you must be able to build trust and engage with a variety of stakeholders, including local and state governments, industry associations, and community organizations, to help them understand our business and the contributions of our community.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Airbnb's mission and tourism, and have experience in regulatory, public policy and/or political work in a relevant business or non-governmental organization, or in a public/government entity.
Frequent travel within the US should be expected once travel normalizes, along with occasional travel to our global headquarters in San Francisco.
A Typical Day:
- Support the Public Policy Regional Lead in coordinating and executing the company's public policy strategy
- Lead the development of local and state stakeholder engagement strategies and partnership programs, initiating and leading pilot partnership projects with local stakeholders to promote the brand and effectively address regulatory challenges and opportunities
- Represent Airbnb in associations, meetings, and events with government and elected officials and other stakeholders, in order to help advance the company's advocacy initiatives
- Maintain relationships with an extensive network of contacts at the state and local government levels, as well as with allied groups and coalition partners -- building these relationships from scratch if necessary
- Develop external-facing documents, such as feedback to regulatory proposals or industry position papers, in short windows of time
- Engage in research, writing, and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on developments affecting the policy in home-sharing or other Airbnb verticals.
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters and advise the company with respect to policy challenges, ensuring progress is reported regularly and roadblocks flagged in a timely fashion
- Assist in managing consultants and external resources
- 10-15 years of experience working on public policy issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organization, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context. Experience in political campaign leadership roles or direct lobbying, a plus.
- Direct government relations experience, preferably in one of the following fields: tourism, housing, land use, or e-commerce/internet regulation – with a track record of influencing regulation and/or legislation at the local or state level. Experience and relationships in California is a plus.
- First-rate personal, political, analytical and organizational skills
- An eye for detail - with an ability to very quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, both for subject matter experts and the layperson
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player in a matrixed work environment while producing the highest caliber work product
- Ability to manage multiple projects and navigate a complex matrix organization with multiple stakeholders
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills; ability to resolve complex and unfamiliar problems in a timely manner
- Embraces challenges with a positive and solutions-oriented approach
- Acute attention to detail; extremely organized and able to help keep others organized
- Self-starter with a sense of humor and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in the use of online collaboration and productivity tools
- Fluency (reading/writing/speaking) in English.
- Degree, or advanced degree level, in related field
- Willingness to travel potentially up to 50% of the time
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base pay for this role is between $155,000 and $195,000 The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
Due to the nature of this position, the successful applicant will need to be based in California to be able to conduct their work. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware And Rhode Island. This list is continuously being updated, please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.