Senior Software Engineer, Trust Platform
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Everyone at Airbnb thinks about trust, but our team obsesses over it daily. The Trust team is responsible for protecting our community and platform from fraud while also ensuring our hosts, guests, homes, and experiences meet our high standards. Trust Platform is responsible for foundational systems that power the detection and mitigation of fraud at scale across Airbnb, such as the rules engine, friction framework, and vendor API gateway, and supports one of the highest throughput systems across the company. The team works closely with the Trust defense teams to tackle the changing landscape of fraud attacks, and build platform features to enable Trust product teams to quickly build frictions, rules, and enforcement tools for agents.
The Difference You Will Make:
As a Senior Web Software Engineer, your expertise will be pivotal in developing and evolving both the external and internal facing tools and frameworks/platforms owned by Trust platform used to detect & mitigate fraud, and enforce standards across Airbnb. You will primarily work closely with a team of cross-platform engineers with collective expertise in web, native, and backend development to define and shape the future of the platform used to enforce standards across Airbnb.
A Typical Day:
- Work closely with cross-functional partners (PM, design) and engineering teams owning various functional surfaces (messaging, cancellations, guest & host standards) across Airbnb to understand the current state of standards enforcement.
- Standardize enforcements across various functional areas by ideating and designing an extensible platform.
- Work closely with Android, iOS and backend engineers on the team to develop foundational, cross platform solutions.
- Contribute across the team’s surface areas to directly move our core metrics (developer experience, developer velocity, debuggability, performance, and reliability) while reducing cost and providing new functionality to help make our team’s vision, and that of our broader org, a reality.
- Partner with Airbnb product teams to understand their pain points, pilot proposed solutions, and drive adoption of paved path tooling and frameworks
- Participate in all phases of software development including architecture/design, implementation and testing.
- Support teammates in enabling code quality, operational excellence, and shared learning
- 7+ years of experience in a hands-on software engineering role in frontend web development.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Fluency in HTML, CSS, and related web technologies
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills and the ability to work well within engineering organization and cross functions.
- Love collaborating via code reviews and architecture discussions, and are motivated to improve their teammates’ productivity
- [Bonus] Full-stack development experience is a big bonus.
- [Bonus] Experience working on an Infrastructure or Platform team supporting a medium to large engineering organization.
- [Bonus] Solid understanding of client networking, performance, caching, client storage solutions, and asynchronous programming
- [Bonus] Experience (beyond configuration) working with bundlers, testing frameworks, editor integrations, frontend build/CI systems, observability tooling, or developer environments.
- [Bonus] Show motivation for personal growth and learning new technologies to support the team’s needs
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.