Engineering Manager, Search Backend
San Jose, United States
Engineering Manager, Search Backend at Airbnb
The Search Backend team is part of the Trip Platform team. Trip Platform’s vision is for Airbnb to be the best place to plan and book the magical end-to-end trip. We provide a centralized platform that makes launching and growing a business at Airbnb easier and faster and by building products that help guests navigate our ecosystem and make trip planning decisions.
Search Backend team is responsible for building and operating the search indexing and serving system which is suitable for all businesses (Homes, Experiences etc.) within Airbnb. Challenges include
- Building a generic indexing and serving framework that captures current use cases and also supports future use cases from new businesses that Airbnb is expected to spin up.
- Building for availability, performance and presence across multiple regions.
- Allow integrating a new category/business with minimal engineering effort.
- Allow plugging in specialized ranking models for certain categories of inventory.
- Impact-oriented and optimistic - you are self-starting, focused and ready to do what it takes to win
- Growth-minded - you want to expand your skill set in a fast-paced environment
- Communicate - you believe it’s critical for others to understand your work, ideas and context and you work to cascade that information to the team
- Resolute - you help develop healthy environments for technical decision making and proactively reduce team thrash
- Aware and Empathic - you are a champion of our culture, keep a pulse on team morale and contribute unprompted
- Adaptable - you thrive in an environment where things change quickly
For this role, we value Engineering Managers who have:
- 7+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 4+ hands-on technical management experience
- Exceptional coding abilities and experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications
- Track record in partnering with recruiting to build incredible engineering teams
- Actively coached and mentored team members in their careers
- Been actively involved in setting product strategy
- Independently started self-sustaining teams
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Shipped several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more...