California Candidate Privacy
Privacy Notice for California Applicants
Airbnb is committed to protecting the privacy and security of the information we collect and to being transparent about the purposes for which we use your information. This Notice describes the categories of personal information we collect about California residents who apply or are recruited for a job with us or one of our affiliates, and the purposes for which we use that information.
This Notice does not create or form part of any contract for employment or otherwise.
I. Categories of Personal Information We Collect
When a person applies to join our team, we may collect the following categories of personal information during the application and recruitment process. We collect and use this information only as permitted or required by, and in compliance with, law.
- Contact Information, such as name, alias and other names, personal email address, telephone or mobile phone number, address, driver’s license number or state ID card number, passport number, and other unique personal identifiers.
- Beneficiary Information, including names and other identifying information for those who may relocate with you upon hire, as a result of your employment, if applicable.
- Educational, Professional, and Employment-Related Information, including current employment, employment and education history, professional licenses, references, information that referrers provide us about you, education transcripts, gender, classifications protected under state or federal Equal Employment Opportunity laws (such as race or national origin), and information related to whether an accommodation is needed during the application process.
- Background Information, including previous employment, criminal, or credit information as is necessary for us to employ you.
- Device Information, including internet or other electronic network activity information such as browsing and search history and information regarding interactions with websites and applications, our systems, and networks, in connection with computer use during the interview process, including any candidate assessments.
- Biometric information, including videos or photographs that may be captured through facility operations, including guest check-in, facility security footage, and video interviews.
- Immigration Status, and other information that would allow us to verify your work authorization status and/or employment eligibility, and information to support your spouse and family member immigration petitions if applicable and necessary.
- Information to Assess Public Health Safety, obtained directly from the individual, that identifies, relates to, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular individual.
- medical data, biometric data, and physiological data;
- easily observable physiological information such as body temperature; and inferences based on observation of physiological information.
I. Purposes for Which Personal Information Is Used
We process your personal information for the following business purposes:
- Determining your eligibility for a position with the company, including processing your application, assessing your fit with us or for a specific role, conducting interviews, carrying out background and reference checks in accordance with law, and keeping records related to our hiring process;
- Protecting the company’s data and data security, and against illegal activity and other misconduct, including by detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and taking appropriate action concerning those responsible for that activity;
- Undertaking activities to verify and maintain the quality, safety, and performance of our products and services, including product and service testing, research, and development;
- Fulfilling other business and operational purposes, including relocation in connection with employment, or related to mergers and acquisitions, and any other changes to corporate structure ; and
- Complying with our legal obligations, including those related to tax, immigration, and anti-discrimination laws.
- Managing potential public safety risks, including in relation to COVID-19, to individuals, including applicants, who come onsite, and the population generally. We may also process or disclose the personal information where required by law, regulation, court order, or administrative order to do so.
III. Disclosures to Third Parties
Airbnb has affiliates where certain services are provided centralized by one or more affiliates for the entire group or a part of it. We, therefore, reserve the right to share personal information with our direct and indirect affiliates for all purposes described above. Whenever we share personal information with affiliates, we request from them that they commit themselves to process personal information in line with this Notice only.
We may disclose your personal information to a third party for any business purpose specified in this Notice. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter into a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract. These third parties are “Service Providers” as defined by applicable law. We do not share personal information with any third parties, who are not Service Providers, where Airbnb may receive a financial benefit from such sharing.
We may also disclose your personal information to another company as part of a merger, acquisition, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets to that company; or where required by Airbnb policy, law, or in response to valid legal process compelling disclosure.
IV. Changes to Our Privacy Notice
Airbnb reserves the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this Notice, we will post the updated notice on our website and update the Notice's effective date.