Staff Operations Engineer
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
- Airbnb is a company with a mission to create a world where anyone can belong anywhere, achieved through a unified team adhering to core values. The BizTech department plays a crucial role in this mission by providing reliable internal systems, innovative products, and technical support, fostering an empowered and inclusive progress. They also create technical breakthroughs and strategies that redefine the concept of belonging anywhere, delivering value to both the business and its people.
- The Global Operations arm of BizTech manages production services in the corporate environment. A Staff Operations Engineer within this team focuses on observability architecture, operational efficacy, and automation. They work closely with other Operations team members and BizTech engineering teams to develop solutions, anticipate, and resolve issues. Their role requires experience in Site Reliability Engineering and Observability development.
The Difference You Will Make:
- You're tasked with identifying and rectifying persistent issues through scalable automated solutions, thereby enhancing operational performance and productivity.
- You're also responsible for spearheading the development and upkeep of testing and monitoring tools, ensuring the continuous operation of all automation platforms.
- You're in charge of the quality and reliability of BizTech services, which includes verifying post mortems, conducting root-cause analysis, and implementing corrective actions.
- You'll collaborate with various BizTech engineering teams to establish and maintain service level objectives and indicators, contributing to the overall efficiency and security of our services.
- Lastly, you'll lead the planning of operations architecture for the next 1-3 years, connecting disparate systems in production to improve compatibility and stability.
A Typical Day:
- Dedicate a portion of the day to core Operations tasks, which involve addressing requests and issues that our users have identified and reported via tickets. Strive to comprehend the requests at hand, identify patterns, and resolve them with solutions that can make handling these types of problems more efficient.
- Being part of an on-call rotation could mean that you are called upon to address and lead resolution of high-severity incidents related to production services, taking on a double role as an incident commander and operations engineer.
- Participate, facilitate, lead team and project meetings, collaborating with Operations peers and cross-functional BizTech peers.
- Work as a team, stay on top of tasks, engagements, and interactions with colleagues. Active participation and collaboration is a recipe for success.
- Work on sprints, project tasks that involve coding, testing, designing, documenting, and reviewing operational readiness.
- 10+ years combination of IT Operations, Site Reliability, observability and architecture
- Strong coding abilities, with a focus on API, integrations, and event driven architecture (AWS Lambda/SQS architecture).
- Proven experience with Software Development Lifecycles including infrastructure as code, configuration management, distributed version control system, and continuous delivery technology processes
- Strong experiences with complex corporate environments, including automation, observability (e.g. open source tools grafana, kibana, vector, opensearch, cloudwatch), network (e.g. Cisco, Palo Alto), systems (e.g. Chef, Terraform, Jenkins, Kubernetes), applications, SaaS, Cloud technologies (e.g. AWS, GCP)
- Experience designing logging pipelines, monitoring and alerting frameworks, opentelemetry, as well as tracing tools and CI/CD pipelines
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to clearly communicate ideas into business requirements
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.